A/C compressor engaging.........

ArtistsRifles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
London, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK Spec
Question: Should the A/C compressor keep engaging every so often when the air distribution knob is on anything other than A/C or Max A/C??

Listening to ours running with the bonnet up whilst some friends oggled it we heard a loud click every minute or so and found the A/C compressor clutchwas engaging. Only way to stop it was to turn the air distribution knob to "Off"
I was under the impression the compressor clutch shouldn't engage unless either A/C or Max A/C were selected???

The compressor runs in every setting except off, and floor only, so thats normal. :)

ArtistsRifles said:
Question: Should the A/C compressor keep engaging every so often when the air distribution knob is on anything other than A/C or Max A/C??

Listening to ours running with the bonnet up whilst some friends oggled it we heard a loud click every minute or so and found the A/C compressor clutchwas engaging. Only way to stop it was to turn the air distribution knob to "Off"
I was under the impression the compressor clutch shouldn't engage unless either A/C or Max A/C were selected???

This appears to be true for first gens only.

The reason for it being on in the other settings on the later models is that the A/C not only provides cold air it dehumidifies also; this may be desirable on the other settings. In addition it keeps the refrigerant oil circulating.

Thanks everyone - that puts our minds at rest!!! I was dreading the thought of going near a main Ford UK stealership with a problem on an Explorer's A/C system.
If they can't get a key right what chance have they got on an A/C system?? :rolleyes:

Back