• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Question

DUNE RCR

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 F150 5.4
Is it normal for the compressor to kick on and off no matter what setting I have the heat on? It doesn't matter what I set the heat to wether it be the hottest or coldest or what ever setting I set it in(face, foot, face/foot, foot/defrost or defrost) the a/c compressor constantly kicks on and off almost like its short cycling. Recenlty I replaced the lines and the compressor and it been acting up since. Any info will help. I don't know what the issue is and any info will help. Also the heat does blow hot and the ac does blow cold.

Vehicle info: 99 X 5.0 AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A/C compressor runs on every setting, hot or cold, except vent and floor.
This information is also in your owners manual (providing you still have one).

Yeah I would have an owners manual still but while I was deployed my wife took the truck to a mechanic to get some work done and it dissappeared...personally I think the mechanic took it. Well at least I'm relieved that its normal for the compressor to run like that.

Am I able to run a switch to turn off the compressor while I run my heat? And if so what wiring would I tap into?

I have a '99 Explorer XLT 4.0 and am having the same problem. Ive checked the pressure in the lines with one of those convient a/c coolant kits you can get at pepboyz, autozone, etc. It says that the pressure in the lines is where its suppose to be and checks out ok. Yet the compressor still kicks on and off whether its blowing heat or cold. My next step is to check the switch for the compressor, just need to get around to it

Yeah that was my next idea if I had a bd switch/sensor.

The reason the compressor runs is to dehumidify the air coming into the cabin. This keeps the windows clear inside the truck. It will only run if the outside temp is above freezing, anything lower and it will not run on any setting.

It will not run on the floor setting
It will not run on the vent setting

It will run on every other setting - a/c, defrost, bi-level, heat/defrost combo etc.

If you don't want the compressor to run, select either vent or floor.

Am I able to wire in a switch somehow to turn off the compressor while I'm running my heat? If so what would I splice it into?

Am I able to wire in a switch somehow to turn off the compressor while I'm running my heat? If so what would I splice it into?

You don't have to splice into anything, use the system correctly.
It doesn't run in heat "Floor" mode.

It will not run on the floor setting
It will not run on the vent setting

Back