A/C Compressor won't engage automatically | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor won't engage automatically

beckaboonorton

Reaction score
City, State
Eatonton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place...we have hit a DEAD END!! Working on a 1997 Explorer 4.0L V6 engine...hubby has drained the freon and refilled it and confirmed no leaks--he can jumper the compressor manually and it comes on and cools just fine. Compressor won't engage on its own; he has replaced temperature control sensors, high and low pressure switches, WOT relay, and the ECM. No diagnostic engine codes are showing, but reading live data, Diagnostic tool tells him throttle position sensor is showing open @ 20% with engine off; fully throttled, TPS reads 92.6%. Even with the AC control head unit off inside the cab, he can still jumper the WOT relay and the compressor will come on. It never cycles; it just stays on constantly. Can't figure out why relay isn't getting power on its own and sending to compressor. Help!!!

Frustrated on my hubby's behalf,
Becky

Is the compressor getting power? When A/C is switched on does it actually send power to the compressor? Was the A/C Relay checked? It honestly sounds like a pressure switch issue.

Do you have EATC or manual AC?? If EATC, there is a relay on the circuit board in the unit where the solder joints can go bad. Either fix yourself or get a rebuilt EATC uit - about $100 from multiple sources on line. Good luck.

had to jump start one recently, doesn't look good though for the future of having ac even after recharging it

Back