• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor

floydfly

Reaction score
City, State
Denver,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
My compressor engages and then disengages and reengages, and so on about every ten seconds, even on max cool. Is this normal? I would think it would stay on until it reached a certain temp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats Normal.

It could be that you are low on freon. Hold cold does it get? If it's not real cold, then you are probably low on freon.

same thing happened to me it was low on freeon

There are some good threads on AC on this board, and one in the useful Threads. Once you understandthe system (which is explained there) you will understand the why's and wherefors for the cycling compressor. At cold temps it will cycle even if everything is perfect.... (due to the relationship between refrigerant pressures and temps) it can be annoying.

Did a search on the useful threads, and came up empty.
What refrigerant does this thing take? Old freon, or the new stuff?
I'm driving it to mexico in a week, where it will live out it's retirement years.
I can get the old freon there if need be.

Thanks for the help Glacier, but the link doesn't work. Sounds like I have the old system, so I'll charge it up in Mexico.

Glacier your link works on this page however the link for the conversion doesnt work in the page your linking to

Back