• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor

Cobrakev

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie
It seems my A/C compressor is not turning on. I can not find any troubleshooting info. Does anybody have any idea's? It is a 2000 5.0

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You check for voltage at the compressor's connector?

I'm not an A/C tech but I think there is a minimum pressure requirement in the system for the compressor to work. Is the system pressurized?

I dont believe the system needs an initial pressure in order for the compressor to engage - it will rotate whether or not its connected to the rest of the system (as long as the clutch is energized through the connector).

But getting back to the original post, if you are unsure if the AC compressor is turning, with the engine running and the AC off, pop the hood open and watch the AC compressor - notice that its pulley is rotating but the center is not. Now turn on the AC and again, watch the compressor - the center should be rotating along with the pulley. If its not, stop the engine, pull the compressor's connector and check for voltage (should be about 12v with the AC on).

There is a low pressure cycling switch mounted on the accumulator. Whenever the low side gets below 25 psi the switch cuts power to the clutch. At 45 psi power is restored to the clutch. This protects the compressor from lack of oil due to low refrigerant charge and also helps prevent evaporator freeze up. You need to put a manifold gauge set on it and check the static pressure. It should approximately follow ambient temps. In other words with the engine not running the low and high side should be about 65 to 120 psi depending on the temperature. If the pressure is below about 25 psi, it indicates loss of refrigerant and the clutch will not engage. See the following link:
http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/82/

I dont believe the system needs an initial pressure in order for the compressor to engage - it will rotate whether or not its connected to the rest of the system (as long as the clutch is energized through the connector).

But getting back to the original post, if you are unsure if the AC compressor is turning, with the engine running and the AC off, pop the hood open and watch the AC compressor - notice that its pulley is rotating but the center is not. Now turn on the AC and again, watch the compressor - the center should be rotating along with the pulley. If its not, stop the engine, pull the compressor's connector and check for voltage (should be about 12v with the AC on
I guess this compressor check would work on my 92 explorer too. I'm trying to troubleshoot this so I can figure out what went wrong, it just stopped working. Thank you for posting this and if you are still active I have more questions for you

Back