• Register Today It's free!

A/C Conversion question

DaSovietPotato

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
I have somewhat of a silly question about the future of A/C conversion. I was doing some light reading and found that there is currently a phaseout for r-134 to r-1234 which started in 2012. Even though the current phaseout is not as tough as it was with r-12 to r-134 it seems like in about 10 years r-1234 will take the place of r-134. I was wondering if anyone has ever considered designing a r-1234 compatible system or conversion for any of the old explorer models. As of right now I have not completed the r-134 conversion on my vehicle, and it would really grind my gears to spend all of the time and money into an r-134 conversion just to have to do it again when r-134 becomes more regulated a few years down the road. One problem with the traditional o-ring replacement method is the higher pressures required for an equally effective r-1234 system. It might seem like an out-of-scope question, but it would be nice to have input from anyone who would have a better idea than I about A/C systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have somewhat of a silly question about the future of A/C conversion. I was doing some light reading and found that there is currently a phaseout for r-134 to r-1234 which started in 2012. Even though the current phaseout is not as tough as it was with r-12 to r-134 it seems like in about 10 years r-1234 will take the place of r-134. I was wondering if anyone has ever considered designing a r-1234 compatible system or conversion for any of the old explorer models. As of right now I have not completed the r-134 conversion on my vehicle, and it would really grind my gears to spend all of the time and money into an r-134 conversion just to have to do it again when r-134 becomes more regulated a few years down the road. One problem with the traditional o-ring replacement method is the higher pressures required for an equally effective r-1234 system. It might seem like an out-of-scope question, but it would be nice to have input from anyone who would have a better idea than I about A/C systems.

I'm interested in this as well. My '93 still runs R-12 too.

My 1994 is a factory R-134 system, but I would like to know if there is a plan to phase it out.

As far as I know the initial phaseout was with new vehicles beginning in 2012, and to my knowledge it is in most new vehicles of 2022. StackPath

I’d just stockpile a few cans of the r134 before it gets expensive.

No conversion out that I've seen through work (Ford technician for 34 years) R1234 is insanely expensive like $120 per pound and it's also slightly flammable so at this point I wouldn't go messing around with it unless you're qualified. The machines to recover/charge are also $$ my shop has spent almost $15k on two of them. and they are a huge PITA to use they take a lot of time to run through they're cycles for recovery and charging due to the nature of the R1234.

I don't think there is a date set in stone to stop selling R134. Because the EPA has approved the new 1234yf refrigerant only for new vehicles with systems designed specifically for its use. R12 and 134a systems are not designed to use flammable refrigerants, which 1234yf is. Federal Law mandates that using flammable substitutes is strictly prohibited. Might as well use propane....

As a automotive technician, I've worked on a lot of r1234yf systems, and I wouldn't worry about it replacing r134. It's way more expensive, we charge around 300 dollars depending on the r134 capacity vs 800 and up for r1234yf. The system works the same, but pressures against the high and low side are higher. 1234yf requires much more vacuum time to make sure there is no moisture in the system, usually an hour and a half of vacuum is required for proper service. It's also chemically very similar to propane which is also a good freon so you have to have specialty certificates and such to work on them legally. R134 won't be phased out completely for the foreseeable future, plenty of cars out on the road that still use it and will for a while.

Back