A/C drier-accumulator change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C drier-accumulator change

cemeteryman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer AWD 5.0L
What all is needed to exchange the a/c drier/accumulator -- I hear it leaking Freon out after I have put in Freon in till it's all gone? Any help would be appreciated - its a 1999 Ford Explorer with new a/c compressor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well let me think..

A couple of big wrenches for the large fittings...One to hold one to turn...A couple of small wrenches for the lower fittings...Remove and replace the low pressure switch on the new unit...Drain the accumulator of oil and add back the same amount of new oil to the new unit...Can't remember the correct amount but make certain the system is filled with the correct oil and the correct amount...

Vacuum the system down to remove any air in the system and test for leaks...Add the correct amount of R-134a to the system by volume if there are no leaks...

Enjoy the wonderful 36 degree air from your vents!!!

Thanks Ranger

I do have a friend that can vacuum out the system so that is probably the most critical item. It held two cans of Freon over night but the third day was back to hot air.

You will need a spring coupling disconnect tool, plus replacing the orifice tube is inexpensive and easy, so consider that too.

On the accumulator is a bracket that secures the tube going into the evaporator. This bracket can corrode and may cause the leak to come from the evaporator tube and not the accumulator. I repaired my tube by splicing in a new section of tube with compression fitting. Regardless of where the leak is, I would definitely change the orifice tube once the system is open.

Yes you will need the spring lock tool, its inexpensive and readily available as an entire kit at most parts stores.

Be patient when loosening the connections for the first time. You really don't want to damage the spring lock connectors and they are probably full of crud at this point. Spray in some brake cleaner, then a light oil to break up the crud, repeat until the tool will seat in the fitting.

But yes you should definitely replace the orifice tube while you have the system open. Its like a $1 part.

Thanks all

thnx drdoom, firepop5, masospaghetti for all the info & suggestions. Will need the a/c soon

Back