• Register Today It's free!

a/c help?

devonshire

Reaction score
City, State
fridley, minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer limited
its been a while since ive been on here. my explorer has been running great!
one question though? does anyone know anything about air conditioning? i have a 1994 explorer limited. the mechanic told me i need a new condenser and radiatoir looking thing by the actuall radiator. thats where its leaking freon. i am very adept at working on my own vehicles and would like to replace these parts on my own and then take it to him just for the recharge. i understand i need special tools for the freon lines and am pretty sure i can find or rent them. any input would be much appreciated! how do i change the compressor and freon radiator?

Thanks,
devonshire

The system is pressurized, wear eye protection before opening any of the lines. Replacing the condensor is easy and requires removing the radiator. Get yourself a Haynes, also some searches would help.

Your mechanic will also wish to replace the accumulator, it has a dessicant in it and should be replaced if it's been over three years.

Compressor is easiest to replace, also most expensive. If it's not bad it's not necessary to replace. Change the o'rings, do not reuse the old ones. Put 2 oz of PAG 100 oil in the condensor, 3 oz in the accumulator.

IMO doing the repair yourself and bringing to the technician is an excellent method of keeping costs down.

Special tool is simple and is shown below.

Good luck and ask questions.

Attachments

• AC Tool.JPG
    AC Tool.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 207

its been a while since ive been on here. my explorer has been running great!
one question though? does anyone know anything about air conditioning? i have a 1994 explorer limited. the mechanic told me i need a new condenser and radiatoir looking thing by the actuall radiator. thats where its leaking freon. i am very adept at working on my own vehicles and would like to replace these parts on my own and then take it to him just for the recharge. i understand i need special tools for the freon lines and am pretty sure i can find or rent them. any input would be much appreciated! how do i change the compressor and freon radiator?

Thanks,
devonshire

Tools you will need:

- Manifold gauges and hoses
- Vacuum pump
- Safety glasses and gloves

Supplies you will need:

- 6 oz PAG45 oil
- 3 12 oz cans of R-134a refrigerant

Replacement parts you will need:

- Condensor
- Accumulator/drier
- Orifice

If you still want to give it a try, you might want to check the A/C forum here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Incidentally, I just did exactly what you are planning to do (except I replaced a rusted A/C tube, not the condensor) with success.

Back