A/C high pressure Schrader valve leaking. HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C high pressure Schrader valve leaking. HELP

MarkM1959

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer xls
I noticed compressor cycling so I went to add refrigerant. Took high side dust cover off by mistake, and noticed slow leak from Schrader valve. Tried to "Pop" it to see if I could reseat it. No luck. Do I really have to drain the system, then vacuum it, etc. Or is there a nother way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure valve is still fully threaded in. It could be leaking bc it partially backed out.

A valve tool is available at any auto parts store or walmart, etc for tire stems. It might be reverse threaded, be careful.

You can also try spraying some dry silicone spray in liberally, quickly depress the valve and release it while the spray is still wet, if it wasn't loose.

I noticed compressor cycling so I went to add refrigerant. Took high side dust cover off by mistake, and noticed slow leak from Schrader valve. Tried to "Pop" it to see if I could reseat it. No luck. Do I really have to drain the system, then vacuum it, etc. Or is there a nother way?
Yes, they make a valve that goes over the high or low pressure ports. It lets you remove the valve stem and replace it with a new valve stem without losing any Freon.

Yes, they make a valve that goes over the high or low pressure ports. It lets you remove the valve stem and replace it with a new valve stem without losing any Freon.
I brought my first set on eBay $15, then brought my 2nd on Amazon for around $20 in a case. MasterCool makes it. You get what you pay for.

I brought my first set on eBay $15, then brought my 2nd on Amazon for around $20 in a case. MasterCool makes it. You get what you pay for.
I brought the valve core replacement tool because I added some Freon to my Honda Low side valve and it started to have a small leak. The valve cores have a life. Some times the core will not seat. If you press down on them to clear and clean the seal, they will reseal. So now anytime I do major service I just replace Them both.

I brought the valve core replacement tool because I added some Freon to my Honda Low side valve and it started to have a small leak. The valve cores have a life. Some times the core will not seat. If you press down on them to clear and clean the seal, they will reseal. So now anytime I do major service I just replace Them both.
Air Conditioning R134A Valve Core Quick Remover Installer High Low Pressure M9O1 on eBay bay

Back