• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

A/C Leaking r134a,,,, but I can't find the leak,, even with UV dye.

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
2004 Explorer XLT 2wd

My refrigerant is going somewhere,,, a full charge lasts about a month,,,, compressor works fine when the system is charged. I recharged the system and put dye in today,,, blowing ice cold during a 30 minute drive,,, but afterwards,,,, could not find a trace of a leak in the engine bay,,, top or underside,, nothing leaking under the car.

I'm a fumbling idiot,,,please don't shout at me,, I'm just guessing. Does this mean the problem is behind the firewall? Evap or condenser?

Is there an easy way to check either without removing the dash? (There is no trace of dye inside the car that I can see, vents etc).

Thanks guys for any help,,, I'm no expert,,, just a timing-belt 'level' home mechanic,, but if it's something I can take on,, I will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Joe in NY

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
get a flexible camera, remove the blower, and stick the camera into the evaporator area and look for dark colored dirt patches where oil is leaking out and debris is sticking

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
get a flexible camera, remove the blower, and stick the camera into the evaporator area and look for dark colored dirt patches where oil is leaking out and debris is sticking

The blower? lol,, where is that exactly? and how do I remove it. :)

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
If you have Freon Gas Sniffer this method has worked for me in the past.

Charge system. Let vehicle sit for several hours.

Put Freon sniffer in center console vent and turn the key on, with low blower setting, but do not start the engine.

If the evaporator is leaking you should get a brief indication on the Freon Sniffer as the blower sucks up the Freon that has accumulated in the case.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Check the dash drain for oil/dye

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Do you have caps on the service ports?
Yes Sir,,, caps in place,, no leaks on either side,, or along any of the lines,,, dryer & compressor totally clean too.

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Has anyone had any luck with these sealant products? I figure if it takes a month to lose charge,,, it must be a fairly minor leak.

Juckerz

Reaction score
City, State
Apopka, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Thanks for all the advice btw,,, I appreciate it,,,, about to go borrow a sniffer from a friend.