A/C leaking refrigerant out of rear condensation hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C leaking refrigerant out of rear condensation hose

Scotty Mo

Reaction score
City, State
Platte City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
OK I'm going to try to keep this short. I get back from a long trip (3000K)that I had the A/C on the whole trip. The night I get back I notice what looks like antifreeze leaking out of the condensation drain in the rear. I for the life of me can't figure out how that could happen. We'll it didn't it was refrigerant and the A/C started blowing warm and the clutch wasn't engageing. I pumped a can in the system the clutch kicked on and it started to blow cool. Pressure was still low so I put another can in and that brought it up to 45. All was good and the wife was happy for about two day's and it started leaking again. One thing I thought was strange is that the passenger and rear vents were allot colder than the drivers side. PLEASE HELP!

If there is a post on this already I'm sorry I've been all over this forum and can't find anything related.

By "rear drain", you mean the vehicle's rear A/C unit? If so, then yours must have the system with 2 evaporator cores, one up front, one in the rear. This sounds as though your rear evaporator coil has sprung a leak, or, a fitting or other connection close enough to the evap. to allow the refrigerant oil to exit through the condensate drain.

You cannot "see" refrigerant leaks, the stuff exists as a gas at atmospheric pressure, and bleeds away into the atmosphere, leaving a film, or more, of oil which was carried there with it. The lubricating oil normally circulates throughout the system, carried along with the refrigerant.

imp

Thanks for the response! I haven't torn into the inside of the Exp yet but I had been told it only had one unit. The refrigerant had dye in it that's how I was able to see it leaking.

So do you have rear AC or not? Im not clear
either way, the evaporator core where you saw the refrigerant dye needs to be replaced. not an easy job I bet.

Or the line going to it is leaking near or at the join... lets hope its a line, I think that would be easier and cheaper.

Back