A/C light on and compressor working but only heat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C light on and compressor working but only heat?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in - an 03 XLS that's blowing only hot air - compressor kicking on, lines getting cold, a/c light on. Blend door actuator or blend door? Any other possibilities - and any tips on how to check these? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd bet on the actuator. If you can reach it you could manually move the door. If it will move by hand then it's the actuator or it's circuits. If it is bound up then it's the door.

Thanks -- do I access blend door through glove box? I had a problem once on another Explorer with "no heat" and it had a clicking noise - it turned out to be the actuator but I saw a "door" by removing glove box that was trying to move. Just trying to figure which way to go because getting to that actuator is a PITA. Maybe easier the 2nd time around.

I'm not sure on the location. Couldn't hurt to drop the glovebox, look under the passenger side of the dash, or maybe pull out the radio and bezel to gain more access.

if you mean it blows hot air all the time.. then yes blend door, if you mean it blows hot air, or when in "cold" position just blows room temp air (as in a/c system isn't cooling but is running) then I'd suspect the expansion valve, or possibly the in-line filter if it has one.

It blows only hot air and is making no noise like a bad actuator often does. What's the best way to check and fix blend door?

I removed glove box and pulled out front fascia adn when turning Max A/C to defrost I see a diaghram looking piece moving what seems to be properly (in and out). When moving hot/cold control back and forth, I dont see or hear any movement. It blows only heat in all settings with no temp change. Any ideas - I hear the actuator (moving?) which might be a sign to check it out but if checking blend door or something else might be an easier first step - then please advise. Thanks.

Does any one know if the "diaghram metal piece" located near glove box is working properly - moving in and out when switching between hot/cold - then does that mean the blend door actuator is working also? I've got constant heat and hate to replace actuator if I need to look elsewhere. Thanks.

Back