• Register Today It's free!

A/C noise under dash

daprez1963

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4dr 4WD 4.0 V6 FFV
Today, I started the truck and then turned on the a/c. It had a wierd noise coming from under the glove compartment only when I had the a/c on. It went away when I turned it off. I drove to an appointment and when I got done and returned to the truck, the noise wasnt there no more. I wonder what it was????
:confused:

The noise sounds like some kinda rattling...light, but loud enough to hear. I thought at first something fell down in the dash. I checked under the hood and you can't hear anything there. It is all under the glovebox area. I haven't heard it again, but if it returns, any suggestions what it might be? I was wondering if it was an early warning sign of something going out or something needing maintance. The a/c works fine otherwise....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Than that makes three. I have the same problem with my 02 X. Comes and goes every few days but it is there.

Than that makes three. I have the same problem with my 02 X. Comes and goes every few days but it is there.

x4. I have the same thing but it only happens on Max when it recirculates for me.

I had the same problem on my Hyundai Accent. I know it's a slightly different car but...

It turns out that the blower motor for the AC is underneath the glove compartment. There's a little hub down there, and when I removed that (it required a little contorting but nothing too bad) the motor popped right out and there were a couple of small twigs in there.

I had the same problem on my Hyundai Accent. I know it's a slightly different car but...

It turns out that the blower motor for the AC is underneath the glove compartment. There's a little hub down there, and when I removed that (it required a little contorting but nothing too bad) the motor popped right out and there were a couple of small twigs in there.

so its a possibility that something very small is down there, occasionally popping up in there long enough to get caught in the spinning blow motor? and when i turned it off long enough, it settled to the bottom and thus stopped hearing it? thats good news then, i was starting to think something needed to be lubed...thx

On the first gens, it's usually a leaf that is stuck until it wears down. I never figured out how they get in.

Back