A/C options.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
For the most part since I've joined this site on st. Pats day. And anyone reading my post knows I'm trying to build a better westfila vw. I has saved tons of info articles on how to and even getting real 4x4 and trax lock diff information from fellow members. Soon I will be getting all the parts to the puzzle. My thought on ac. I have dual ac units in the pug shuttle. Once converted for camping I'm going to want ac. But don't want to run the engine 24/7.they want a few grand for roof ac. How big of an ac motor do you think it would take to drive the ac compressor. I figure while on shore power I could run and ac units since I have 2 brand new units. The front is so cold I get 43 temp from ducts. Never check the rear pugs never complained. Is there a formula for driving the compressor with a motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Brooklyn what I'm trying to figure is I have 2 complete units in my van like other xlt models on the drivers side rear panel there's a blower evap and something else plumbing into 1 compressor. What type of hp ac motor could be used to spin the compressor on shore power. The van runs at a max 5,000 rpm so could an ac motor the size of an alternator be bracket in to spin the compressor when the engine is off or a remote compressor wired in with a remote ac motor. Sounds hard but sometimes the hardest things turn out butt simple. I contacted power trax like you suggest the make still the lock tight possi units $400.00 for the rear and the same for the Dana 28 in the front for a real lockup front that would turn the van into a 4x4 monster ford never offered possi on both. They gave me the front units part number but stopped making them last year so there out there venders are asking $399. Up to $500 new old stock.
Louker still makes and sells front and rear locking diffs for the Aerostar same price.Louker shows many ford model that use the same diff as the Aerostar. Rwd fairmount, tbird,mustang they only ask if it's a 7" or 8" rear how do you tell. More information filed for project westfila Aerostar.

Door tag

All I see is axle weight and ratio size axle 24

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 127

Shore power may limit the motor size. I'd get a 2hp motor and spin the compressor at half the speed of the motor.

I don't understand about the electric motor size. A house ac doesn't it use a compressor but it's direct drive instead of a belt is that correct. So if I remote mount an ac motor and compressor and plumb it into the house system wouldn't that work.most class b van campers have a 13,000 but roof mount but I don't want to pay 3 grand and I want to put a pop top. The only thing holding me back is a garage and 5-7 grand to turn out a nice westfila copy of an awd camper. Most of my expenses is diff/ transfer case swap. It's going cost me around a grand for a real 4-4 transfer case swap with 2 new drive shafts. 500 for each diff to turn it into a locker.and 3 grand for my camper stuff. So I'm trying to go cheap on the ac

Mount a window A/C unit inside a cabinet in the van, remove the condenser and mount one in the front of the van, run copper line from it to the A/C unit. Having the unit recharged with freon would be cheaper than an electric motor.

Thank you for the idea I was at cosco yesterday and window units have gotten smaller than I can remember. 5,000 btu units were the size of a small microwave oven.

the condenser would need a fan too.

Back