A/C pressure fluctuating?!!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C pressure fluctuating?!!?

gto4evr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hello,

I have a 98 explorer with A/C issues. compressor didn't run. I put a recharge hose on it on the low side and gauge read about 5 pounds. I jumpered the cut off switch causing the compressor to cycle and put one 15 oz can of the 134 into the system. It came up to about 15 pounds and air got semi-cool. According to the kit I should have between 25 and 45 pounds of pressure in the system. so I was planning on putting another can into it. After the wife brings it home today, I put the gauge on without the motor running and pressure is spiked up at 100psi. I start the truck up, and turn on the A/C. when the compressor is cycling, the pressure starts dropping towards 15, as soon as the compressor cuts out, it spikes back up to 100 again. Is this normal? there's a stink coming out of the engine compartment now and I'm guessing it's my expensive freon leaking back out (obviously the stop leak additive in this kit wasn't successful)

I can answer the pressure numbers..

when off, both sides equalize.. and will read roughly the outside temp (a better description is the condensor temp).

When running the low side will be around 30-40 (there is a good thread about correct pressures.. I think its a sticky)..

If the low pressure goes below I "think" 25 the compressor will turn off until the pressure comes up high enough.

~Mark

In other words, yes, your system is behaving normally.

Back