A/C problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C problem

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Having a problem with the A/C. The compressor goes on and off and I can see the pressure change so I assume that part is working. Problem is no air flow to the vents, some warm air to the defrost, rear A/C is warm. I pulled the controller out and took the vacuum plug off and no vacuum on any lines. Does anyone have A/C vacuum diagrams. I'm assuming it's a vacuum problem. It looks like one line missing from the plug.

I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Having a problem with the A/C. The compressor goes on and off and I can see the pressure change so I assume that part is working. Problem is no air flow to the vents, some warm air to the defrost, rear A/C is warm. I pulled the controller out and took the vacuum plug off and no vacuum on any lines. Does anyone have A/C vacuum diagrams. I'm assuming it's a vacuum problem. It looks like one line missing from the plug.

I have one somewhere, but I can't find it. I believe @Turdle had posted it at one point it time and I printed it out. Your issue is most likely under the hood and not in the cabin. The plastic vacuum lines get brittle over time and break pretty easily. There is a vacuum reservoir ball on top of the front of the passenger side plastic inner fender. Engine vacuum is supplied to the vac ball via a thin plastic line. From there a second line feeds vacuum to everything that is controlled by vacuum in the HVAC system (heater control valve, EATC HVAC control unit under the radio, and to the various vacuum motors under the dash that control air direction. The EATC can also develop vacuum leaks in it internal vac solenoids. Most the vacuum lines under the dash are silicon, so it's rare for them to develop leaks.

The are other places where engine vacuum is used are the EGR valve, the power brake booster, the fuel tank purge solenoid located under the battery tray, other lines connected to the intake manifold, the fuel tank. A vacuum leak anywhere will show up as a loss of air to the dash vents, which defaults to the air coming out of the defroster vents.

I'd start by looking at you heater control valve as you've indicated some warm air with the A/C on and running.

These are pictures of the controller vacuum lines. Looks like one is missing, there is an empty port.

Attachments

• 20200608_201047.jpg
    20200608_201047.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200608_201107.jpg
    20200608_201107.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 66

Back