A/C problems - passengers side warm, drivers cool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C problems - passengers side warm, drivers cool

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
We recently noticed that the passenger's side vents are blowing warm air with the A/C running while the driver's vents blow cold air.

Reading old threads here there are a few mentions of it being the blend door:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-passenger-side-blows-hot-while-on-ac.408998/

Which was my first assumption since the driver's side blows cold. But, I also came across this thread where it turns out a valve was leaking:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ide-blowing-hot-while-on-cold-setting.449782/

I took a quick look under the hood and I can see 2 ports. One to the front right near the air filter and another to the front left next to the power steering reservoir. I am not sure which is the high pressure and which is the low-pressure port, however, what I did notice was that the port next to the power steering reservoir was dirty and when I removed the cap there was what appeared to be some liquid on the port itself.

If the port is leaking, is there a way to replace just the port? or does the entire hose need to be replaced? I can't figure out part numbers for the hose or port, to be honest. That is of course assuming the port is leaking and the cause of the passengers side blowing hot air.

Is the quickest way to test it being a leak to buy a can of r134 from an auto parts store and recharge the system that way. If both vents blow cold then it is more likely a leak. Can someone confirm the high and low ports so I hook up to the correct one!

Thanks.

Weird, I have no port there. Instead there is a pipe that runs to the front of the vehicle and then has the port, comes out of the same location and the pipe appears to go nowhere except the front of the vehicle. So, I am assuming it must be the low port. You can see the pipe coming out here:

explorer_2006_engine_large.jpg

Additionally you can see the port beside the power steering fluid that appears to be leaking on mine.

Back