• Register Today It's free!

A/C Problems...

lunchfist

Reaction score
City, State
dubuque ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer 4.0 SOHC
So about a few weeks ago i noticed the air just wasn't as cool as it used to be, and so i ran it on max AC for about a 30 minute drive, yep, sure enough the air was just as warm as if on vent. (yes i had the temp selector to cool :p) So a week goes by and i finally decide i'm going to get a refill kit and refill the refrigerant. I get home with the kit and let it run with the A/C on max, and the compressor clicks on and off about every few seconds (from what i've read, that means it's low on refrig., right?)

my problem.

I start unscrewing the low side port cap, and it starts hissing..... so i tighten it back up... then i go inside and grab my haynes book, and make sure it was the low side port i was unscrewing the cap for... which it is.. I'm about 99% sure it's not supposed to hiss right? So i say screw it, and unscrew the cap all the way... i hear a loud pop, a rubber o-ring (black one) goes flying, and it won't stop hissing.

So i put the cap back on, come inside, and type this.

Any ideas guys?

is it supposed to hiss? i'm reallllllllllllll sure it isn't.

and it looked like there was a bunch of green gunk around the bottom of the evap canister... on the high side line i assume? and some type of an o-ring or gasket hanging near all the green goo.

*sigh*

You will need to replace the valve on that side and evacuate then recharge your system. This is the point you want to take it to a professional.

The low side port is on the accumulator/drier, a $20 part at rock auto. Sounds like it failed by the valve which was the sound you heard of refridgerant escaping. If you left it off I am sure the system has evacuated itself (you can test this by pressing the little ball in the valve and see if you get more hissing).

I had a leak in my lower evap core tube, so I replaced my evap core and accum no problem (parts $100 shipped )and recharged her, she blows nice and cold now.

Get er done your self for $140 (new r134a included) or pay $300 to $400 min for a shop. Your choice.

Back