• Register Today It's free!

A/C questions & issues

EndeavorRC

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
2016 Explorer Sport 3.5L Eco Boost with approximately 60k miles. Owned it since December 2017 with 8k miles. Early summer we noticed A/C wasn't cold. Local mechanic checked refrigerant level and noted it was extremely low obviously signifying a leak. Recharged the system, added green dye and some PAG oil. Less than a week later, A/C not cold and wife hear hissing noise beneath the dash.

While I do have another appointment scheduled with local mechanic, I'm wondering if there's some trouble-shooting I can do to investigate if I can repair or not. I can sling a wrench and cut my knuckles on repairs to my 325i BMW as well as the wife's former GL450 MBZ.

TIA for your replies.

There have been several posts about leaks in the lines which can be difficult and expensive to repair. A/C Line Leak
If the refrigerant level is still good, it could be a bad actuator. They are part of the heating/cooling system and are under the dash. Did the first fix result in cold air again?

Peter

No wrenches to swing or knuckles to bust until you determine the problem. If dye was added on recharge, put vehicle in dark area, get a uv light source, and try to locate the dye that leaked from the system. That will dictate next steps for you or your mechanic.

Back