• Register Today It's free!

A/C Recharge

csnider14

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0 OHV
I recently had to change motors and now have an empty A/C system because of it. Does anyone know how many cans of R-134a I need to fill it back up? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, you have to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump. There should be a sticker under the hood that tells how many ounces of 134-a you will need. If you don't have a vacuum pump, you should have it done by a shop that does. It probably won't work if you just put cans of 134-a in it.

+1 on this; pulling a vacuum for an hour or so is essential to getting all of the moisture out of the system before you fill w refrigerant. If the system has been opened, you will also need to replace the drier before vacuuming/refilling. Good luck.

Replace accumulator and orifice tube first, then evacuate and recharge you may need some oil too.

Midas charged $116 to recharge our Aerostar last year. No parts, just a recharge. Unless you get a deal on the refrigerant, you'd have a big chunk of that $116 in refrigerant by the can. Wife was very happy to have a/c, and I was happy to have it done right for that price. The a/c didn't cool after a head gasket change, but I don't know if it worked before either, as the head gasket was bad when we bought the van. I don't know if they opened the system when they did the head gasket, but it seems like it would be easier with all the a/c stuff out of the way, especially in an Aerostar.

Since you know the system has been opened and is empty, follow the advice the others have offered.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like i may just have a professional do it since i do not have the tools i need. Thanks for the input!!

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like i may just have a professional do it since i do not have the tools i need. Thanks for the input!!

If you don't plan on doing it again (maybe for another vehicle) then this is the best option..

If you are willing to invest in gauges (can always borrow the vacuum pump for free) you can save money in the long run but you really need to do the work yourself a couple times...

I have my own gauge set and I bought a couple cases of r-134 for $6 a can so I am already way ahead in cost.. I'll be even more ahead once I change all the parts on the explorer a/c (has black death) since I'll save on labor on changing the parts plus the recharge.

~Mark

Back