A/C runs on some heat settings

BilHam

Reaction score
City, State
Newburgh, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
96 XLT problem:
When the heat is set to front/feet or feet/defrost, the A/C kicks on. Set to feet only, it's just heat, compressor off. It doesn't really matter in the summer, but does in the winter. Today I (DUH!) pulled the A/C fuse. But, what gives? Why A/C on those settings only? Spooky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont pull the fuse! its working properly!!! the AC compressor clutch kicks inand spins the compressor because if your using the heat it removes the MOISTURE from the air, and if your doing something like DEFROSTING this is important. if you look in your manual it will tell you what settings the compressor will NOT work on, and i think its just top vent selection only, all other settings the compressor will run.

My 96 is the same. Normal.

A shot in the dark---maybe the blendor switch problem? My blendor had to be replaced back a few years ago. It was stuck on AC in the dead of winter.

A shot in the dark---maybe the blendor switch problem? My blendor had to be replaced back a few years ago. It was stuck on AC in the dead of winter.

No, his system is working properly.
Any defrost function will cycle compressor to remove moisture from air---

It is important that the a/c run to remove the moisture, but it also needs to run to circulate the refrigerant oil and prevent the seals from drying up. If it didn't run at all for months every year it wouldn't be long before you had a big repair bill to get it working again.

Its normal, but it's kind of a dumb system IMO not to be able to independantly control the air conditioning compressor, like in most modern vehicles.

If you don't mind running some wires, you can splice a button or toggle into the low pressure switch. When the toggle/button is closed, the system is the way it is now. When you flip the toggle open, it'll act like its out of refrigerant, i.e. not use the compressor. The low pressure switch is located on the accumulator.

Back