• Register Today It's free!

A/C stuck in defrost

sbhop36

Reaction score
City, State
Camilla , Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
A/C will only blow out defrost vents, no matter what setting you put it on,can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue right now--

the function is switched by vacuum only--there are a few things to check

looking up in the front passenger wheelwell-there is a black globe, about the size of a softball. Thie is the vacuum reservoir-
it is tough to find, but it is there. you will need to look between the fender, and fender liner--

look at the vacuum lines going to and from it for leaks or breaks.
Also, trace the lines back to the firewall, where they make a bulkhead type connection to go thru the firewall
next--you could have a bad vacuum switch, on the control panel--

This is not a blend door issue--so don't get confused--

The blend door controls heat to cold function only--

Thanks, for the info
I was in an accident if FEB got hit in the front passenger wheel well.
I didn’t notice the vents didn't work properly until summer when I need the AC. I have been driving around with foggy windows. Any-way I connected the lines directly to each other, this is just a temp fix. I will hit the junk yards tomorrow.

Thanks, for the info
I was in an accident if FEB got hit in the front passenger wheel well.
I didn’t notice the vents didn't work properly until summer when I need the AC. I have been driving around with foggy windows. Any-way I connected the lines directly to each other, this is just a temp fix. I will hit the junk yards tomorrow.

Hey--
welcome aboard!
Good job searching Billy!

I had the same problem on my 96. If it wasn't for this forum I probably would have taken apart the whole dash before realizing it was a vacuum line. Thanks to all.

Defrost Only

I just bought a beat-up 1995 Explorer with the air (cool or otherwise) only coming out of the defrost vents. I have almost no autorepair skills or experience,
I found this forum and started reading.......found the vacuum reservoir...removed it out the top from under the air filter box and saw that the 3/32" tube had been cut....Went to the hardware store, got 3/32" shrink wrap..reconnected and waalaa!!
1 hour and $3.50 !

Thanks for the great posts and pictures!

Worked like a charm

It was a little tough to locate the vac lines, crawling under the car for a different view helped. The vent switch works fine now. Thanks!

A/C out of defrost only

My Check Engine light is on and the code reader says "EGR valve excessive flow detected"... would this have anything to do with my problem of my air being stuck on air conditioning and it only coming out of the defrost vents?

2005 ford explorer (120,000 miles)

I had 2 issues:

1. Blend door actuator (motor) that controls (hot/cold). Replaced using steps in this site.
symptom: clicking sound when move hot/hold

2. Actuator in glove box to direct flow. Plastic piece broke off the actuator. I drilled hole and bent a fishhook to connect as temp fix. Can't find permanent fix.
symptom: all air/heat goes to defrost.

Both seem to be common explorer problems.

I am confused. My blend door actuator was not working so I ran a diagnostic test on the EATC, got 888, and cleared the codes. This made the actuator work again but now all of my air is coming from the defrost vents! I am positive that directly before running this test all of my vents worked properly. Any ideas??

Back