• Register Today It's free!

A/c Vent issue

StxHammer

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
I'm having an issue with my AC vents. It still produces cold air but it does not come out the center vents at all. I'm still getting A/C out of the bottom center console vents but not the main ones under the Stereo. I only have the issue when switching Vent controls. Could this be the actuator? I'm gonna remove the Glove box in the A.m or I'll take it to the mechanics. What does that part go for usually? Any input is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a $1500 fix if you pay someone to do it. Dash has to be removed and a $250 part has to be replaced.

What part is it and where is it located? or could this be a vacuum leak?

Do searches on this site for vent issues with AC and you will find several threads on this. My 03 XLT had the problem of the upper vents not having airflow and instead it was diverted to defrost and lower vents even though dash vent was selected on the dial. My issue was just like others in the threads where a plastic tab on the diverter to switch airflow from defrost to vents broke where it connects to the actuator arm. I had to fabricate a connection for that tab to the actuator arm with a piece of sheet metal and zip tie. Its not pretty but works. And like Number 4 says the alternative is big $$$ to take dash out and new part. Don't panic yet but do search for issues like yours there are plenty examples

Ok. I'll check those out. Thanks.

Took the glove box out. This is what I seen.
2h3y82v.jpg

Yours appears to still be attached. Looking at that view, when you change the vent selection, does the arm on the actuator go in?

Agree with you number4. When selected to have air in those vents under stereo that actuator arm should move into the actuator (move towards engine firewall). You have to have the vehicle running to check this movement of the actuator arm. If you crank engine, select the upper vents and the arm stays like shown in your photo then I say your actuator is bad or a vacuum line to it isn't working properly.

Thanks for the help guys! The actuator went because when I manually moved it in, I got AC. Replacement one on the way! Thanks for the help.

Back