• Register Today It's free!

A/C won’t blow through dash vents

ClutchYara

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
06’ Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
I have an 06’ Explorer XLT and the AC has had this problem since I bought the car. The A/C works fine with temperature and in the rear there’s no issue, but the front vents won’t blow air. The floor vents and defrost vents work fine and blow cold and hot. Just the dash vents won’t blow air, except on rare occasions where they’ll start working for a little while then go out again. What’s going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a hissing sound when you accelerate it may sound like its coming from the passenger side foot well? if so then you may have a failed ac check valve. usually when it fails the vents default to the defrost position. Its easy to find and check its located under the hood passenger side near the top of the firewall it will have a grey line and I think a black line going to it. the color of the actual part is half black and half slightly yellowish plastic color.

To remove it just pull on the rubber ends being careful not to break the plastic vacuum lines. once it is out you should be able to blow through it one way and not the other if you can blow air is escaping even a little bit one way it's bad and replace it.

If you need an Air Conditioner Control Valve you can get one here: I had to replace mine a few months ago. As RCflyer said, you will hear a hissing noise that happens when the manifold pressure drops as you accelerate. This is the vacuum reserve canister losing its vacuum due to the check valve not functioning properly. The good thing is it only takes a couple of minutes to replace it.

The door that moves to send the air through your dash vents is no longer connected. Stick something in one of your center vents while it is running and push and see if the air starts coming out.

I fixed the problem. This video should explain what I had to do. There was a plastic housing and a metal rod that moved with the mode of the AC that were broken off from each other. I put a hole in the plastic and zip-tied them together and my AC is fixed

I had trouble seeing the video but I know what you mean. Mine did the same - take the glove box out and you can see where the actuator arm broke off of the door arm. Drill a hole in what is left and maneuver a zip tie in and it works again. I have a video around here somewhere after the fix. Not sure if I can post it locally or not.
Edit - I can't post a video

Back