A/C WOT relay faulty???

Mumblix

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Sport
Hi...here's the deal.

1992 Explorer Sport. A/C converted to R-134. When you start the truck and turn on the A/C, it works great. Nice cold air, A/C compressor clicks on and off as it should (no fast cycling). R-134 level is good.

If I get on the freeway or hit the RPM's high, the A/C compressor shuts off due to (I assume) the WOT relay doing it's job. Pretty soon, the air coming out of the vents is warm and humid. The Compressor has stopped coming back on.

No A/C until I stop and turn off the key. I start it and the A/C is back until I hit a high RPM level.

Ok...my question is...can a WOT relay stick in the cut-off position until the system is reset (un-powered) or am I completely off base?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any relay can get stuck open. I would have to look at a wiring diagram to see exactly where I'd put a voltmeter to determine if this was the case. It shouldn't be difficult to determine if this is what is happening in your case.

Did you ever figure out your problem with your WOT relay??? Mine is acting the same way.

Relays in the fuse box are pretty easy to test, just swap them around. I believe they're all the same model of relay and you can confirm by the part numbers on them.

I have seen the low pressure switches stick once they are activated to turn off the compressor. Could just be a sticky low pressure switch mounted on the dryer...maybe the faster drop in pressure when driving is causing it to stick. Just a thought.

All of the switches have been replaced. The relay is the only thing.

Back