• Register Today It's free!

A/C

Bruce L

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I'm trying to fix my A/C to hide from the summer heat!

Anyone have any info about converting from R-12 to R134a? Is it something I can do myself?

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Bruce
'92 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bruce:
A post here about 2 months ago talked about an inexpensive kit from K-Mart that worked well. Do a search on this site for R-134a.

I live in Austin,TX where the summer never seems to end and AC's die and take their drivers with them. AC repair is a total racket with the mechanics here so I got my license over the web for $20 and 25 questions. Now I can buy R12 or anything else. R134a sucks if you live in a really hot place becuase you lose 5-10 degrees. There are R12 replacements like R406A that is 3-12 degrees colder than R12 and use the same oil plus they are a lot cheaper. Check out http://www.autofrost.com for R406A
and http://www.epatest.com to get your EPA 609 license.

I've even made a few bucks charging my friends AC systems.

Good luck!

Drew--

INTERESTING!

Can you replace R134A with the colder R406A?

------------------
Guy A.
Ripley, TN

Negatory...you'd have to remove the POE oil from the system and replace it with mineral oil. R406A is misible with mineral oil. I wouldn't recommend it. Stay with whatever oil your car came with just for convienence.

Don't convert. The A/C experts will tell you that as long as you can, run the R12. It is a much better coolant. Plus, your FX-15 compressor will not hold up to the R134..... they are very marginal with R12.

That time of year is upon us. Can someone give detailed instructions on refilling the system with R-406A?

Back