A/c | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/c

itsjustme

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Eddie bauer, 4.0 V6
I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer And even though it seems to work just fine the AC creates so much condensation I have never seen anything make so much water in such a short time. Has anyone else had this problem,what could cause it and is it possible for the drain to be plugged up and not allowing it to flow out correctly (its Location?)? If I am low on freon what does the charge need to be? Any input would be appreciated... And as a little foot note the water seems to just come out from all over the place on the dryer or evaporater whatever that thing going into the firewall is called and I believe it splashes on the exhaust at times and causes a white steam looking smoke to come out from underneath the right side where the water from the a/c drips from..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's perfectly normal for your A/C system to drip water outside. The more humid the air is, the more water it's going to remove and drain exactly how you describe.

So then there isnt a actual drip line coming out? it is suppose to to come out from where the outside plastic covering fits together?

Mine does the exact same thing (96 xlt) if I leave it on too long the whole thing freezes and I have to turn the a/c off for a few miniutes then it works fine.

I am getting really frustrated with this thing. am I crazy or what? What else could it be to cause the white smoke to come out from underneath if not the A/C dripping on the exhaust? What about Brakes could it be brakes sticking or something? Please someone tell me I am not crazy I checked all my fluides and they are ALL JUST fine..If anybody has any other possibilty of what could cause and what I should check PLEASE PLEASE let me know..Thank you

You should not have white smoke coming out from under your rig from water evaporation. White smoke is usually a coolant burning issue- can you smell coolant?

The water thing is normal though- I have lakes under my evaporator right now, it's so humid...

Yes Joe I can smell coolant,Infact i was able to get under there yesterday when it happened and I noticed that the smoke was coming from down below where the trans stick is and after further looking I could see it burning off of the muffler around the area of Oil filter..What could it be in that area creating a leak only at times to get enough coolant on the muffler? Freeze Plug Maybe? Also the oil filter seems to stay moist with something i dont think its oil leaking out because the fluids are all good including the coolant level... I am Baffled Big time..........

Well, if it's dripping coolant it doesn't take much to smoke, and coolant seems to burn for a while so you may not be missing much. Check stuff like your coolant bypass hoses, heater core connectors/hoses, etc- just trace the coolant lines. It may not be directly above it, stuff like that seems to travel along lines, hoses, and wires until they get tot he lowest point then they drip.

Ok I will do that..Thank you Joe for all your help and advice.. When and if I find the problem You will be the First to know..Thank you Again Sir..

No doubt- I'll have to put a tie on Shamrock now... :D

Good luck witht he fix though- burning coolant is annoying, and that smell linnnnnnnnngers!

Back