• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

A couple of codes

dcnatlsfan

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4x4EB, '97 Ranger XLT
I'm trying to get rid of a cel. I had the codes pulled at Advance the other day, and here's what came out:

P0455 - "EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)"

P0133 - "O2 Sensor CKT Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)"

Now, here are my questions:
1. Are these related?
2. Which O2 Sensor is this?
3. Would simply replacing this O2 Sensor likely fix the P0133 code?
4. What types of things might cause the EVAP code? I just passed the emissions test, and I watched them test the fuel cap. I'm kinda doubting that's it.
5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

TerryS1980

Reaction score
City, State
South Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0
The P0455 could be the gas cap being loose, a vent valve or a bad connection. P0133 is the driver side O2 sensor on the primary cat. If you are going to change one you might as well change the other.

dcnatlsfan

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4x4EB, '97 Ranger XLT
The P0455 could be the gas cap being loose, a vent valve or a bad connection. P0133 is the driver side O2 sensor on the primary cat. If you are going to change one you might as well change the other.

So on the P0133, the sensor in question is pre-cat? That's good right? Doesn't that mean that the cat is still okay if the post-cat sensor is not setting a code?

mitchevans

Reaction score
City, State
SW Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD
I had the same two codes pulled today at advanceauto. The guy said that the P0133 might be because of the large vacumm leak I have. Is this possible? and also he said that I should just check the O2 sensor and see if the cover is missing and corroded. If it is would i be better off getting a new sensor or just getting a cover for it?

One final question. Would the P0455 lead to bad MPG?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Please, please, don't replace the cat until you fully diagnosis the problem. Check upstream of the cat; more than likely the problem is not the cat.

Good luck ....