• Register Today It's free!

A couple of codes

dcnatlsfan

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4x4EB, '97 Ranger XLT
I'm trying to get rid of a cel. I had the codes pulled at Advance the other day, and here's what came out:

P0455 - "EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)"

P0133 - "O2 Sensor CKT Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)"

Now, here are my questions:
1. Are these related?
2. Which O2 Sensor is this?
3. Would simply replacing this O2 Sensor likely fix the P0133 code?
4. What types of things might cause the EVAP code? I just passed the emissions test, and I watched them test the fuel cap. I'm kinda doubting that's it.
5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The P0455 could be the gas cap being loose, a vent valve or a bad connection. P0133 is the driver side O2 sensor on the primary cat. If you are going to change one you might as well change the other.

The P0455 could be the gas cap being loose, a vent valve or a bad connection. P0133 is the driver side O2 sensor on the primary cat. If you are going to change one you might as well change the other.

So on the P0133, the sensor in question is pre-cat? That's good right? Doesn't that mean that the cat is still okay if the post-cat sensor is not setting a code?

I had the same two codes pulled today at advanceauto. The guy said that the P0133 might be because of the large vacumm leak I have. Is this possible? and also he said that I should just check the O2 sensor and see if the cover is missing and corroded. If it is would i be better off getting a new sensor or just getting a cover for it?

One final question. Would the P0455 lead to bad MPG?

Please, please, don't replace the cat until you fully diagnosis the problem. Check upstream of the cat; more than likely the problem is not the cat.

Good luck ....

Back