a couple questions concerning DIFFERENTIAL drain plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a couple questions concerning DIFFERENTIAL drain plugs

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
i looked under the truck today which is a 2006 V6 4x4. the rear differential drain plug looks like its 3/4'' drive and the fill plug looks to be 3/8" drive. can anyone confirm? also upon reinstalling the drain plug is thread locker really necessary? or can you just rethread it on without worrying about it leaking?

for the front differential i see a fill plug but no drain plug. how do you service the front diff fluid? do you drain it by taking off the cover? or is it easier to have FORD do it. Lol!

thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 98 so mine only has a fill on the rear so I can't confirm that one. If the front diff is similar to the 98 the front crossmember is probably in the way and only way to service it is to remove the fill pump out the old and pump in the new.

No drain on the front, you just pop the bottom of the cover open to drain (it will come all the way out if you really want it to) and there is just enough clearance to do that. The fill plugs are a standard 3/8", no clue on the drain but 3/4" is pretty much the standard on the ford truck rear differentials.

just seen a youtube video on a 01-05. i guess i can by a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter instead of buying a 3/4" drive.

A 1/2 to 3/4 adapter with a ratchet will be too long, as there’s no enough room in between the plug and the rear bar.

Still thinking about a way (instead of buying a 3/4 drive ratchet that I’ll never need again).

You could grind flats on the adapter and use a wrench on it.

I realize this is a zombie thread but I just replaced the fluid in my differentials last year and I believe the plugs are no bigger than half inch. I don't have any three quarter drives or adapters and I remember that what I had worked. Just for the record.

I realize this is a zombie thread but I just replaced the fluid in my differentials last year and I believe the plugs are no bigger than half inch. I don't have any three quarter drives or adapters and I remember that what I had worked. Just for the record.
05 rear diff drain looks like 3/4" Just checked it yesterday and didn't have a tool big enough. Fill plug is 3/8".

Back