A couple wheel cleaning/restore questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A couple wheel cleaning/restore questions

Hey I'm going to be getting a set of Outlaw II style stock wheels from a ranger in the next couple weeks. The clearcoat on them isn't too good (that's the only problem) so i am going to want to strip it. I was wondering what to use? Would paint thinner work or would it damage the wheel? I guess after that i could use a rubbing compound and a polish wheel to clean them up further. I suppose I can use a decent spray clear coat from autozone to re-coat them, but what would be the problem with leaving it off?

Thanks!
CP :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi CodePoet:

It all depends upon what the clearcoat is. I would try acetone or laquer thinner first. If they don't do anything, get a paint stripper with methylene chloride in it. That will strip just about anything. Just rinse them off really well once you're done. If you don't clearcoat the wheels, you'll have to keep polishing them every so often. I would recommend against any spray can clearcoat that is enamel based. They tend to yellow over time. Laquer is less likely to yellow, but more fragile. The best option is to have them powdercoated with clear polyester or epoxy. You'll have to do this without tires, of course. Good luck.

Regards,
John.

Cool thanks man, i've never done anything like this. I was wondering if clear coat wouldn't yellow or just look bad. I might just leave the cc off and polish them up occaisonally. To polish them would you recomend anthing like a rubbing compound, flitz (i've seen it advertised a bunch know nothing about it), or just a good metal polish? I might look into some home powdercoating kits just for fun.

thanks!
cp

CP
For un coated Alum rims get some never-Dull cotton wadding, this is the stuff we used on real mags in the 60s, will make alum and all non-ferrous metals mirror bright, made by eagle one, comes in a silver can

Hi CodePoet:

I use Brasso, sold everywhere. Also, I have heard lots of good things about Never-Dull, but never used it. Eastwood sells DIY powdercoating kits, but for what it would cost to buy the gun and set up an oven to cure the powder, you might be better off finding a machine shop or powder coater to do it for you, unless you plan on doing more of it in the future. Clear polyester powdercoating is used pretty often (clear epoxy less so), so maybe you could sweet-talk them into putting your wheels in with someone else's batch and saving some money.

Regards,
John.

CodePoet:

I have a set of the same deep dish rims from my old 90 Ranger. I was able to strip the epoxy coating with a product called Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper. For old paint, varnish, urethane, lacquer. Very easy to use, in a gel type form and does not create a big mess.

If the rims are pitted and corroded, then you may need to have a professional refinish them. Thats a costly option.

The factory finish is epoxy, but rattle can clearcoat may be ok. If not, its easy to strip off.

Back