• Register Today It's free!

A dream about headlights

the_don

Reaction score
City, State
park city, ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 exploder limited 5spd
So the other night with visions of diagrams in my head, i fell softly asleep. i had a dream where i tied a red/yellow wire and a red/black wire together at the multifunction switch to change the headlights from HIGH beam or LOW beam to LOW beam or LOW & HIGH beam combined.since burning both filaments at the same time might be illegal in some states, this dream will remain what it is, just a dream.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've thought about this but I would bet you would burn out your bulbs in short order. Fog lights with high beams are a better combo.

it would be the headlight switch i would be worried about, burning both filaments double the power pulled through it. if each filament burns at 55watts, the math breaks down like this 55/14.5=3.79x2=7.58 amps for two vs. 55/14.5=3.79x4=15.17amps for four, add in the fog lights 55/14.5=3.79x6=22.75 amps. if all the marker lights run at 60 watts, everything adds up to 26.88 amps. and that is a lot of power to be pulling through a set of 20+ year old contacts

It wouldn't hurt anything, I run both filaments all the time in my '97 Mountaineer, I just position the high beam handle in the middle and they both stay on. It takes a bit to get the hang of, but I can now do it without the switch springing back.

I just went out and tried to get my switch in the middle. Mine wouldn't do it, its either low or high on mine. The math looks correct to me. What really has me thinking is the main wires for lighting look like 14 gauge, and I thought that was only good for about 20 amps.

REALLY REALLY REALLY unsafe to have both filaments on in a dual-filament bulb.

The switch and wiring isn't meant to handle the load, the bulb and the lamp housing and lens isn't meant to handle the heat.

It's also pointless, at least in a well-designed headlamp with a quality bulb. Using 9004 Sylvania Xtravisions in the stock 91-94 lamps, I already get a very intense high beam. I don't see the low beam adding anything to it, even if it were safe to do.

Having both high and low beams on is a wiring thing done with headlamp systems that use four lamps, with seperate bulbs for high and low beams. With added heavy-duty relays so each set has it's own, and so the power for the bulbs comes from the battery through the relays, having the lows stay on when using the high beams gives a little more light on the road. Same as above though, a set of quality lamps and quality bulbs negates any improvement, this is usually something done with sealed beam 4-headlight systems by those who don't want to spend the $$$ on new lamps with removable bulbs, but will spend the $$$ on wiring and relays. I suppose it's a nice option to have a system wired for though, for certain situations.

Back