A few issues: Power Steering, etc

H1N1777

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Hey y’all,

I recently received a truck so I’ve decided to sell my 2000 Explorer. Before I sell it, I’d like to fix some glaring issues with it.

First, I’m another victim of the dreaded power steering whining sound. I’m not sure if it could be remedied by merely replacing the pump or not. It leaks fluid out into the street pretty significantly, especially after sitting for as long as it has been lately.

I’ve seen the thread on this forum showing how to replace one, and I’m going to do so if that’s the right option. If that won’t solve my issue, please let me know what will!

Also my beloved Explorer got the check engine light. This is the first time I’ve ever had it (original owner). I’m thinking it could be either from the severe condition of the power steering pump, being due for an oil change, or just from plain ol’ sitting around and not really driving it much.

Anyway, I hope y’all can help me. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to a parts store and have the codes read for the CEL, Advance and Autozone both do it. I've also been told that whirring can be remedied sometimes by cleaning out the "bottle" that holds the fluid, it has a screen in it that'll clog up and that's what causes it.

Also my beloved Explorer got the check engine light. This is the first time I’ve ever had it (original owner). I’m thinking it could be either from the severe condition of the power steering pump, being due for an oil change, or just from plain ol’ sitting around and not really driving it much.

No point in guessing the source of the CEL - there are literally hundreds of reasons. But it's not related to power steering - the PCM has no information about your steering pump condition. As already advised, have it scanned. As far as I remember, you can't get that done for free by auto parts stores in CA. Buy a cheap blue tooth adapter (about $20) and install one of the free or almost-free apps on your phone. Or, if you have a laptop, get a USB adapter and install Forscan (free).

You can't get codes read for free in CA? Huh, you can here in SC. The phone and bluetooth reader are an awesome pair to have though really, I use mine for everything and my Bluetooth adapter works with my laptop so I'll occasionally use it with that.

Hey y’all,

I recently received a truck so I’ve decided to sell my 2000 Explorer. Before I sell it, I’d like to fix some glaring issues with it.

First, I’m another victim of the dreaded power steering whining sound. I’m not sure if it could be remedied by merely replacing the pump or not. It leaks fluid out into the street pretty significantly, especially after sitting for as long as it has been lately.

I’ve seen the thread on this forum showing how to replace one, and I’m going to do so if that’s the right option. If that won’t solve my issue, please let me know what will!

Your check engine light has nothing to do with your power steering. There's no way to guess what the check engine light means w/out scanning your PCM for ODB II codes. The code(s) will point you in the direction of your problem(s), but you can not take what the code says at face-value. For example if the codes says "P0301 misfire cylinder #1" it could mean any of a number of problems (spark plug, plug wire, bad fuel injector, a valve issue). Further diagnosis is required to find the real issue.

Silly question: Are you or have you been VERY low on steering fluid? If it is low now, or was previously and there is air in the system, it might whine. Fill it and turn the wheel lock to lock left and right a few times while driving to get air out. Wipe all leaked fluid away, run the engine then look for the source of the leak. If you're lucky it's just one of the hoses to the rack.

Back