• Register Today It's free!

A few issues

RonRN18

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
Last Sunday, my wife and I purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited with the 302A package. Overall, we LOVE it. There are a few things that have been of a slight issue. Hours after purchase, I took it on a trip of about 130 miles each way. During this time, I had a chance to play with many features. I plugged in my iPhone 4S with the Apple-USB cable. I saw my iPhone show up as a USB device and as a Bluetooth device. Sometimes when I plug in my iPhone, it automatically starts playing something off my iPhone, even though I was listening to Sirius and wanted to continue listening... I just wanted to charge the phone. Is there a way to not automatically switch to the newly plugged in device? I also had an issue at one point where I somehow lost the Bluetooth link between iPhone and vehicle while I was listening to content over the USB cable... I had to go to the Phone menu to connect it again; just an annoyance.

Another issue is actually more of an inquiry... I saw that I could make a connection to my WiFi at the house... is there any point to that? Is there a use for connecting WiFi?

Another question is about "Applications." I see that I can install applications via a USB thumbdrive, but haven't seen anywhere to get applications. What kind of applications are there and where would I find them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a setting that you can turn off so that the device does not automatically play when you plug it into the USB cable.

I'm not a 100% sure, but I believe if you have a data plan for your phone, to use the internet, then you can set up a wi-fi hot spot within the vehicle, for other devices to access the internet thru your phone connection.

Another issue is actually more of an inquiry... I saw that I could make a connection to my WiFi at the house... is there any point to that? Is there a use for connecting WiFi?

No point whatsoever. (I think they were originally planning to have a web browser so maybe that's why it's there.)

Another question is about "Applications." I see that I can install applications via a USB thumbdrive, but haven't seen anywhere to get applications. What kind of applications are there and where would I find them?

None that I know of. Again, I think this is something that was planned but never implemented. Too many problems with the basic system for them to spend time on adding features.

If I'm connecting a phone over Bluetooth I prefer to just use a standard vehicle charger to keep the battery charged and not have both a USB and BT connection to the same device... seems to make things simpler for me.

I don't know of a real use for allowing the SYNC to connect to WiFi… perhaps it will be able to pull down updates directly one day... would be cool to pull into my garage have SYNC connect to WiFi and download map and system updates.

I have seen the BT disconnects but mine always reconnects after a few seconds.

I think the applications install will part of the AppLink feature when it is rolled out.

Back