• Register Today It's free!

A few last questions

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I'm starting my head gasket project in a couple days. Should have a couple hours before work in the mornings then a couple days off Monday and Tuesday. But before I get there I need to know...

Where specifically do I need apply the RTV on the intake/gasket? Is it just around the outside, the front and rear edges, or where? I can't find an exact answer. And it's better to use a lot than not enough, right?

Which RTV do I want, the blue or the gray? I'm assuming the gray but again, not sure.

I've read I want to oil or grease the rockers when reassembling them to prevent wear before the oil gets there. Do I want a particular type? I was figuring the engine assembly oil but thought I read about something else so just checking.

I think that's all for now. I'm probably making this a bigger project than it is, but so far this is slightly beyond my pay grade. It will count as the biggest auto repair I've taken on to this point. But hey, how else do you learn, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I normally do on the lower manifold is only add silicone to the head side I smear it around each port. I then apply a bead along the block valley then put the gasket down. I don't put any silicone on the intake manifold side but only again across the block valley on top before I place the manifold down. I don't add any silicone to the upper manifold gasket. You don't need to grease the rockers. You can pour some motor oil over them. Oil pumps up to the valve train almost immediately when the motor starts up.

Waiting to hear how your rocker assembly goes. Good luck!

I put a light film over EVERYTHING, head and lower intake.all four corners where the heads meets the block and lower intake, use a GOOD amount up and around the water ports too...

Tq the heads and lower intake at the same time, meaning do left head first bolt/first tq step, then do right head first bolt/first tq spec, then do lower intake first bolt/first tq step. ..so on and so on...after a couple hour or miles on fresh motor double check the lower intake bolts, they have a habit of coming loose

Also when putting rockers back on you need to do the three bolts in steps also.dont just crank one bolt all the way down, do each one a little at a time.I also like to take a flat head screwdriver and tap the pedestals backwards towards the middle of motor away from the springs before I do final tq..sometimes the rockers can hit the spring retainers if your dont tap them back ;)

Thanks guys.
Do I need to clean out the cylinders while I have the heads off? I know nothing abrasive, so what do I use? Something like acetone and a rag? Scotchbrite pad? Carb cleaner? Or something else? Or don't worry about it?

I use a shop wet/dry vacuum and brake cleaner at same time.just to clean anything that may have feel into them wile cleaning the block off or any light carbon. .. oil and rag right after to prevent flash rust, be generous.

jd4242, you're scaring the heck out of me! Unless your brake cleaner can is different than mine, I strongly recommend you don't do that. Brake cleaner is highly flammable and shop vacuums have a series motor that has brushes and a commutator. This combination creates an arc at the two locations where the brushes ride on the commutator and in the presence of a flammable gas will ignite. The inherent carbon from the normal brush wear will also burn, and depending on the gas/air mix you could have an explosion in the canister.

jd4242, you're scaring the heck out of me! Unless your brake cleaner can is different than mine, I strongly recommend you don't do that. Brake cleaner is highly flammable and shop vacuums have a series motor that has brushes and a commutator. This combination creates an arc at the two locations where the brushes ride on the commutator and in the presence of a flammable gas will ignite. The inherent carbon from the normal brush wear will also burn, and depending on the gas/air mix you could have an explosion in the canister.

Umm well done it on many motors. ..still alive:salute:

Guess I should put a disclaimer out there....

I wouldn't do anything to the cylinder walls. I wouldn't want to make any scratches that might create oil blowby. Maybe a dry clean rag to wipe any oil that might have drip down. Just make sure dirt old gasket material is cleaned out before the head goes on.

Back