A few more exhaust questions 4.0L SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few more exhaust questions 4.0L SOHC

54blowup

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Flange after the cats connecting to muffler
photo%209.jpg

From everything I've read the 4.0L SOHC Explorers have a stock dual in/single out muffler. My ex has in a single in/single out muffler, and there is no y pipe connecting to the muffler so it is one pipe all the way through. My family bought this truck used about 3 years after it was new (2003) so I'm guessing that the whole exhaust system was replaced? Is there an easy way to confirm this? I am assuming so bc of the flange, as I figured the stock muffler would be welded in. Also, how much of a difference does it make that the SOHC is running through a single in/single out or straight through exhaust compared to the stock double in/single out?

Also, as I was planning out this project, I starting thinking about how I was going to cut the muffler off of the hanger.
photo%2010.jpg

There is only about 2-3'' between the weld and the muffler. My plan was too cut pretty close to the muffler and resonator, basically removing the bend
photo%2010b.jpg

Summit Racing has some 45 degree Mandrel Bends that I would then use band clamps to attach to the muffler and resonator. As stubborn as I am, would it be better just to take this to an exhaust shop and have them weld it on? I would really like to do as much of the installation myself, but I also have to deal with reattaching the hanger to the tubing after the muffler. As of right now I was just going to use one of those strap hangers (like this), does anyone have any personal experience with these?

Back