A few questions for my 91' explorer customization. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few questions for my 91' explorer customization.

Wraif

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer
Hey im new here, and I have read through a bunch of the forums and still have a few questions

I am customizing my 91 explorer and ive run into a few problems trying to find some parts as this is my first custom car. Let's start with what I've done so far.
Shaved rear hatch
Shaved door handles
Shaved roof rack
Shaves emblems and antenna
Removed molding and pinstripe
HID headlight kit
Touch screen pioneer deck
New eclipse 12" sub/box
3 sets of 6 1/2" Rockford components
Complete paint job to gloss black (not done yet, waiting on body work)

Trying to find :
Springs to lower it 2" ( it's a 4wd )
Bumper cover or replacement bumpers front and rear so they aren't the ugly chrome ones.
Weather striping and seals kit for door and windows since I'm doing a complete paint job that's a color change.
Replace front door hinges due to wear.
New dash and gauges thinking aftermarket gauges if available.
New carpet kit.
Also as wondering what I could do about the chrome molding piece on the rear quarters if I just shave it there is a 1 inch gap between that and the bumper.
I have been looking to see What my options are for interior seats and door panels . Ie swap from another model vehicle or get leather covers etc

And last I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on where I should go to get a 302 and an aod transmission from.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.lmctruck.com
For small parts.
But keep in mind most of this stuff is discontinued cause it's so old.
A lot of the bigger things you may need totally custom or mod to fit or refinish.

Trying to find :
Springs to lower it 2" ( it's a 4wd ) - Think Eibach used to make some - check eBay.
Bumper cover or replacement bumpers front and rear so they aren't the ugly chrome ones. - Check LMC truck, or RockAuto may be cheaper
Weather striping and seals kit for door and windows since I'm doing a complete paint job that's a color change. - Rockauto or LMC Truck
Replace front door hinges due to wear. - Available in your local parts store HELP section
New dash and gauges thinking aftermarket gauges if available.
New carpet kit. eBay or RockAuto or LMC Truck
I have been looking to see What my options are for interior seats and door panels . Ie swap from another model vehicle or get leather covers etc - First/second/third gen seats should be interchangeable with a little work. Covers pretty much always look bad

And last I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on where I should go to get a 302 and an aod transmission from. - Junkyard or buy a cheap car with them and part the rest

You can paint your bumpers like I did. Prep is most important. Since it's hard to get paint to stick to chrome, you have to remove it. I used different sanders to make sure I was on bare steel. then a self etching primer on the metal, sealer primer and/or filler primer. Don't sand on the etching or sealing primer, you can scuff them with a Scotch Brite pad, but no more. than you paint whatever color you want.

Most of everything else you want can be found on ebay or rockauto.

I found most of what I was looking for I'll put up some pics of what I've done so far, and I think that painting the bumper and molding will be the best option now. Weather striping come in next week. Just waiting on my paint booth to show now. I'm planning on doing the motor swap in a few months when I get some more cash. I'm looking at a 400+ horse motor from Phoenix engines and a 4r70w stage 2 transmission. Should be pretty cool when I'm done. Thanks for all the help !

Back