• Register Today It's free!

a few questions

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hey, so now that it is summer i am looking into doing a little modifying on my trac. So far i havent done much except aesthetic aspects like blacked out trim and lights.
I would like to eventually get a sub woofer and do some exhaust work, and possibly a new air intake, if i can find the right price.
I was just wondering if anyone could provide some feedback about these projects.
Also, after researching different makes of air intakes, i've decided k&n would be the best choice, unless someone else has had experience with a better brand.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone wants to recommend any other performance or aesthetic upgrades i would love that,
Thanks, roughrider

I would suggest getting a drop-in flat K&N filter, non of the "CAI" kits actually get you cold air induction. There was a kit that Zabteck sold that was a true CAI because you drilled a hole into the passenger side fender and the filter along with a filter cover was inside the fender and didn't suck in any of the engine bay heat. These kits still pop up from time to time on mysporttrac.com but like anything else ST related are becoming extremely hard to find.

As for subs and enclosures I would suggest getting a MTX Thunderform enclosure. I've had the MDF wooden box under the back seat and even made a box for behind the seat but neither sound anywhere as good, clean and clear as the plastic MTX Thunderform enclosure.

I know they are kinda pricey but if you really wanna open up your engine and exhaust get the Random Tech y-pipe and high flow cat and back it up with a set of dual tailpipes. The 4.0's aren't power houses and can't be built up too much but the best thing you can do to improve them is to let them breathe. I wasn't looking to spend the money on them but the driverside pre cat broke apart and blocked up and broke up the catalyst inside the main cat so I had no choice but to replace both y-pipe and cat. The best part of the RT parts are they're made of stainless steel, the y-pipe doesn't have the pre cats (which is completely legal and doesn't affect the engine or emissions) and the main cat is stainless steel with just a single high flow cat that has an outlet pipe of 2.5" from the stock 2.25".

For performance mods get yourself a SCT 3 tuner, Torrie from Unleashed Tuning can set any tunes on it for you.

I have the drop in flat k & n filter. I like it for the fact I don't have to buy another again and just clean it. Although you have to buy a kit I think it last longer in between cleanings.

Back