• Register Today It's free!

A good roof rack idea?

MadScotsMan

Reaction score
City, State
Westford, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Grand Vitara
In one of those rare moments of genius...I think...I came up with this idea...

How difficult would it be to extend the roof rack rails the full length of the roof and add a couple more cross bars to carry more stuff? It appears the ends of the rails are just capped. Would it work to just add another length of rail? Any thoughts or am I, in my state of mechanical "un-knowingness," missing something fundemental here?:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've already extended my crossbars as far apart as they can go on my surco safari rack. I had to drill my own holes in the slats to make it work though. It makes it look alot better. I still need to fabricate another crossbar of my own to go in the middle so it can actually hold some weight.
IMG_6996.jpg

Colton

How 'bout removing the stock style roof rack and custom making a full-length unit out of 1" square tubing? You could custom make it so you could safely tuck a couple foglights up there too.

I think I smell a project... I have a sunroof though, so mine won't be quite full-length. I'm not even sure I need to haul stuff up there. I just plan to relocate my spare and possibly do a hi-lift bracket. I might add some places for a shovel, axe, etc.

EDIT:

^^^^That one looks good. How sturdy are those racks?

Wait, did you mean the stock roof rack?

I've already extended my crossbars as far apart as they can go on my surco safari rack. I had to drill my own holes in the slats to make it work though. It makes it look alot better. I still need to fabricate another crossbar of my own to go in the middle so it can actually hold some weight.
IMG_6996.jpg

Colton

Forget the rack the exhaust is sweet.

^^^^That one looks good. How sturdy are those racks?

My surco is extremely sturdy, i mean the struture of it....i can grab the rack and shake the whole truck with it. Since i don't have a third crossbar on it, it doesn't hold much weight in the center.

Colton

Roof Rack

If I could find a good fabricator, I'd have a full length Surco style roof rack built. I was just thinking of an inexpensive and easy (for us mechanically inept types) to add a little capacity. And Dixie, the roof rack is nice and the exhaust...way cool!:thumbsup:

DixieOnMyMind59, do you have a cardomain? Id like to see more picts of ur X, especially your rack

No, i don't...i need to make one. I'll take some more pics of it today and make a cardomain if it stops raining today. I'll get some detailed pictures of my rack too.

Colton

Bump

Did anyone end up extending the roof rails ?

wow that exhaust is really sweet haha the rack looks great with those lights too. thats a good looking, tastefully modified truck

IMG_6996.jpg

Colton

Grab o e from junk yard I have a few lol

Back