• Register Today It's free!

A Head Scratcher...

Polardogg

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 and 98 explorers
this morning jump in my 94 to run to the store, it started just fine, but i noticed the radio didnt come on, nor did none of my windows rolled down(power windows) but the power locks worked, also i noticed i didnt hear the turn signals clicking when activated, so I finally made to the store put in park and all of a sudden the radio came on and i could hear the turn single working and sure enough the windows work, seems like the Gremlins :nono: love these explorers :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a short somewhere. I would check your fusebox and see if any have come loose or are corroded.

I have been in my wiring book a few times now looking for something in common, but nothing so far. I'm going to have more time on the weekend, and if I find anything, I will post it. I have a hunch it might be the ignition switch... I'll let you know.

I’ve had that happen on my Ranger. The radio, the windows, not sure about the blinker thing. It would randomly happen, usually first thing in the morning when I leave for work. A couple miles down the road and things would work again.
I always figured it was some kind short somewhere.
Mines a 5 speed, btw, fwiw.

I had a 91 that did that too. The ignition switch was at fault with mine.

something in the steering column for sure
A 1994 ignition switch is getting pretty old now, I have had to replace a couple of these in the last few years, before that I never really had to mess with one too much, as they are a very simple device....but electrical contacts do wear out over time.
I agree with @Roadrunner777 and the consensus that the ignition switch it the likely culprit, when you move the column shifter you are effecting the wires in the steering column.....there are ALOT of power feeds in that ignition switch

I would also suspect the ignition switch... I have replaced a bunch of them over the years. There are little metal tabs that hold the switch together and they slowly spread out and crack and the switch falls apart. Sometimes you can just bend the tabs back and it'll be fine for a while.

I had a 91 that did that too. The ignition switch was at fault with mine.

I’ve had a few 90s Ford ignition switches fail on me.
Luckily I had spares but not too tough to change.
I ended up having to remove the ignition switch and use a meter to test it in the different positions to find the problem.

I had to replace the ignition switch in my 94 years ago. The OEM replacement has worked well ever since. I never got around to rekeying the doors, so I have two keys now -- one for the ignition and one for everything else. I like it this way.

Jonathan
1994 Explorer XLT
2000 Taurus SE

thank you all for responding, and i did find out it was the ig. switch, now add that to the to-do list, besides all new brakes, and camshaft synchronizer, hopefully done soon and passes smog

Back