A little bit odd overheating issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A little bit odd overheating issue?

X-JaVeN-X

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey guys, new to explorer's here. We just picked up a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS for my wife to drive. It has the 4.0 OHV engine. Anyway, the truck runs and drives good, but the last couple times she's taken the truck out, it overheats, however we can turn the heat on and the heat blows hot and the temp goes down, we can then turn the heat off and the temp stays rock solid where it should be. The temp stays fine until the truck is turned off/on then it does the same thing...over heat...turn the heat on for 30 seconds...temp drops...turn the heat off....temp holds normal (stays normal at idle and at speed). My first thought was thermostat, but I've never had a sticky thermostat with these symptoms. It's almost like turning the heat on is activating the thermostat. Truck has plenty of coolant. Thought I'd ask here for anyone that may of had a similar issue with these trucks before I just change the thermostat.

It could be thermostat, air pocket or possibly head gaskets or cracked head which is common on 4.0L OHV.

Back