• Register Today It's free!

A little help, please. 2004 5R55E

TexasRangerFX4

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Ranger FX4
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 5R55E and recently had to have the trans rebuilt. Within a couple of weeks of the rebuild, the trans started blowing out the OD servo cover. They transferred the parts to a new case and since then, I have had a 1-2 hang (takes too long to shift from first to second unless I give it very little gas) and a 2-3 flare (unless I give it very little gas). It is a long story as to why I am going to repair it myself, but I read the entire valve body rebuild diary thread (forty something pages) and have a question. I found some info on another forum, and wanted to know if anyone could verify that it is correct. I really couldn't find any specific info for a 2004 model, and the TSB only lists models up to 2002, so I wasn't sure if the parts even pertained to my truck until I noticed this thread where he mentions "2006 or later". I am planning on getting all of these parts, except for the Transgo kit, I will be using the Superior kit instead.

Thread from RPS
This parts list can be considered verified 100% accurate for the 4x4 version.

1. EPC – XL2Z-7G383-AA @ (get this if your over 60K or 2006 and older)
2. SOL BRACKET – XL2Z-7L491-AA (get this if your over 60K or 2006 or older)
3. FORD SEP PLATE – 1L5Z-7Z490-GA (get this if your tranny is 2006 or older)
4. FORD TSB KIT – 3L5Z-7M203-JA
5. FILTER - 56010G
6. GASKET - 56300EF
7. Transgo SK®44-55E

I mostly just need to know if 1 through 4 are compatible with my 2004.
Thanks for any help,
Chris :salute:

A shift kit is not a cure for transmission problems, it's main purpose is to make the shifts firmer and it does just that, you will feel every shift very firm. Do not use the spring that is for max firmness.
If you take the valve body completely apart be very careful and do not scratch the valve bores or the valves. The L keeps vibrate against the edges of the valve body bores and put burrs on them, these have to be removed before pushing the valves out or damage may occur, These burs are very difficult to remove. I would suggest not taking it completely apart.
I think that your valve body already has items 2 thru 4.

Thanks for the quick reply PopRichie77. That is pretty much what I needed to know. The trans shifted good before the parts transfer to the new case, so I don't think that it is going to be anything major. I just didn't want to pull it apart and not have what I needed to get it back together properly. So, I guess I'll get everything except number 4, since I don't know what was replaced during the original rebuild, and the bracket is only $7 or $8.
Thanks again for the confirmation,
Chris :salute:

Back