A Love Letter to My Dog... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

A Love Letter to My Dog...

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Forgive me for using this space for this, but as i don't use any other form of social media, this forum is kind of my Facebook.

I just returned from the emergency vet’s office. I had to put down my dog (Koda) today). I found her on my way home from work one night. It was a cold November night and, as I crested a small hill, in the middle of the road, I saw four little eyes reflected by my headlights. At first I figured it was raccoons, but as I got closer I saw it was two tiny black puppies. Being a dog lover, I couldn't just leave them there to freeze, or to get run over. I stopped my car and opened the driver’s door and Koda was the first to come waddling over to me followed, somewhat reluctantly, by her sister (Bear). They were probably about 10 weeks old. I placed them in the passenger side foot-well and turned up the heat to warm them up. On the remaining drive home I thought I’d take them to our no-kill shelter the next day, but as soon as I got home and my wife got a look at them I knew that we were more likely about to add them to our “pack”.

As the months passed they grew into two healthy 35-40lb pups with very different personalities. I've heard that puppies from the same litter can have different fathers, which must be true because these two dogs, other than size and color, had nothing in common, neither in appearance nor temperament. Where Bear was timid and shy, Koda was fearless and full of attitude. Our 135lb Rottweiler Lab mix was no match for her attitude. For some reason, Koda bonded exclusively with me. She always slept with me, sat next to me (or on me) and would chase me down the driveway if I tried to leave without taking her with me. She was with me when I bought my Explorer and loved riding in it. Once i retired she became my constant sidekick and my best friend.

As the years passed I often worried about the time this day would come. I hoped that I’d have another 4-5 years with her, but after 9.5 years together she developed cancer and had to be put down. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do and I’m not sure how I will live without her. We have other dogs and I've had many pets over my lifetime, but none like Koda.

Rest in peace old friend, your pain is gone now. Mine is just beginning. Please wait for me on the other side, as if there’s a heaven, surely I’ll be seeing you again. In the meantime I will grieve your loss.

Love, Dad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
You have my sympathy and I understand you completely - I had to say farewell to three dogs by now.
Sadly we all go in the same direction. Every birthday, every day, every hour.

Just enjoy what nobody can buy - time on Earth!

svt4cam

Reaction score
City, State
The Wilds of New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
I'm very sorry for your loss! My family has been through that experience several times and it never gets any easier.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Just remember being blessed having almost ten years she may not have had if not for you. I'm certain this "rescue" dog
had the best life you could have possibly provided. You're a good man with a kind heart koda. Remember the good times.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Yeah this stuff sucks.

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Sorry to hear that. I actually just teared up, reading that.

I lost my Kitty (cat) a few years ago. I have another cat, and she's great, but she'll never be Kitty.

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Sorry for your loss. I know the pain you're feeling but know in your heart you did the right thing.
This was passed to me when we lost our "kids".

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I'm sorry but it is still to early for me to read this but believe me when I say, I feel your pain..;)

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
So sorry for your loss. Our only kids are the four legged furry kind. I know the pain of losing them too soon. Our condolences.

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
Very nice, our animals are family members. Your tribute reminded me of this one.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. -George Graham Vest