• Register Today It's free!

A new cold air package?

bluescat

Reaction score
City, State
Baldwin, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X Sport 4X4
I get JC Whitney's catalog every so often. I noticed this said Explorer/ SportTrac. They are not giving these things away at $262 + shp:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=189531&BQ=jcw2

Since it doesn't say Explorer Sport per se, does anyone know for sure if the SportTrac is identical to the X Sport's engine compartment? Has anybody ever tried one of these or have experience with the mfr. "Volant"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They have a website, check it out:Volant

The Sport and Sport trac were made with two builds: before 7/00 and after 7/00. The early builds had 2 vacuum lines off the intake between the MAF and TB, and the build 2 has one. Besides that, they are identical and anything that works with the Sport Trac from the front doors forward will work with our Sports.

IMHO, you are better off getting a K&N panel filter and cutting the front of the airbox to unrestrict airflow. The difference between this and the Volant/K&N/KKM kits is only noticable on the Dyno at WOT. Save yourself $200 and go with the panel filter and free stock airbox mod.

The cold-air and ram air pkg on my X Sport utilizes a KKM True-Rev but I still was curious to see if anyone out there has experience with the Volant product.

Attachments

• ramair1a.jpg
    ramair1a.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 526

Ram air-

Thats a pretty cool looking ram air setup- did you fab it, or was it a kit?

Eric

One of my friends put a Volant filter on his Ranger, he says it's great.

I know it's not the most detailed and reliable recommendation you could get, but it's the best I can do for you :D

The cold air and ram air are unique...

..in that they are both made from bits and pieces. The wall between the filter and engine bay is a Lynx LBTL-2 polypropylene Universal Replacement Battery Tray from Western Auto. The tray gets cut out and slips over the flange and is covered with fiberglas reinforced heat shield. Around the tops and sides goes foam bits and weatherstripping. The flex ducting is 2.5" and the air collector is a Rigid brand shop vac utility nozzle from Home Depot.

The only real trick is the use of an exhaust cutout, pictured below, from JC Whitney that intakes or deflects the cold air from the grille. When off it gathers the air from the same exact location as stock. I ran the on/off control into the cab by going parallel to the heater core feed.

Note that the extra foam surround on the conical filter is 3/16" foam which is sold for window A/C units. I used this because there is a lot of extra dust and dirt coming in from the grill when the ram air is open; even with the fiberglas screen I inserted in the grille. That was a job too!

I did a long post on this with more pics about 1.5 years ago, before the baby was born.

Attachments

• cutouta.jpg
    cutouta.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 465

Mac performance <--Check it out...Their site isn't updated, give them a call and tell them what you are looking for. They quoted me a price of $135 for a cold air intake kit and they said they would cut out the price of shipping. If you call hint to them to update their site...more voices helps...Goodluck

I had read somewhere on the board about other people using dryer hoses to get colder air to their KKM Tru Revs. so last weekend I took it upon myself to fab one up. First I made a mockup with cardboard to see what pattern I would need for a cold air box. Then I bought a sheet of galvanized steel and some 3" dryer hose from Home Depot (about 10 bucks). I used the KKM to trace a hole though to the MAF and 4 holes for the bolts. I cut a 3" diamater hole in the bottom of the box for the dryer hose that goes down to the bumper. I put a little rubber hose on top of the box just to give it a cleaner look. Also I poked a few holes down at the bottom of the intake near the bumper so any moisture would drain out there. Here's a few pics:
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Any comments?

Cool. Looks good. Just out of curiosity, are you going to try to hide the pipe down in your bumper, or leave it as is? It looks like it stands out; but that might just be because i was looking for it in the picture.
Also, one suggestion: if I were you, I'd put some sort of grill or net over the pipe that takes in the air. Just to guard against getting pebbles or flies or stuff like that getting sent to the intake.

Other than that: I approve :D

Yeah, it's still kind of a work in progress. I'm thinking of fabing up some sort of intake with a grill that will fit behid the bumper from some more galvanized steel things they have at Home Depot and then trying to paint it black so it draws less attention down there. Because onece the air goes in down there it shoots streight up, I figure I'm pretty safe for now that it shouldn't get any crap up to the filter.

improvments?

did you notice any improvements or performance gains after you fabbed this cold air induction?

Eric

is it just me or are the pics not working?

The pics didn't work for me at first either. Right click on the pic, then choose Preferences, and it'll give you a URL, the copy and paste that into your internet navigation bar.

DasFrem, I was thinking, you could make some sort of speed grill or billet grill inserts for the openings down there, and that would help to hide the pipe and to prevent things from going in. Kill two birds with one stone

Sorry about the pictures folks, I've got them posted on Geocities which isn't the most reliable site so I reposted them on my work site which has a better response.

"I Can Defy" - Yes I did notice a slight peformance increase with throttle response, especially in the higher RPMs. The power used to drop out a bit when you would hit around 4000 rpm, now it goes strong until about 4700 or so.

"Diablo5969" - Yeah, that's not a bad idea with a billit grill or something, but I'm going to hold off on doing anything permanent for now because I'm going to be putting on the front bumper of a 99-00 X to replace the one I've got banged up right now (rear ended a BMW Z3, what a first car to hit) But once that's on the billit grill is a great idea.

Thanks everybody for the input!

Oh and here's my second attempt at the pics since geocities sucks:

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by DasFrem
"Diablo5969" - Yeah, that's not a bad idea with a billit grill or something, but I'm going to hold off on doing anything permanent for now because I'm going to be putting on the front bumper of a 99-00 X to replace the one I've got banged up right now (rear ended a BMW Z3, what a first car to hit) But once that's on the billit grill is a great idea.

Cool cool. Sounds good

New MAC Cold Air Kit

I ordered the MAC Cold Air Kit for the 98+ V8 Explorer/MM and it looks great! Not to mention is was cheaper than all the other ones out there. It lined up great, eliminated that dorky flex tube between the TB and the MAFS. It was a cinch to install and now I have a place to tap my nitrous kit in... looks great guys! If you want pics, let me know.

Back