A no start condition because of a defective PATS key. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A no start condition because of a defective PATS key.

SoullessNihilist

Reaction score
City, State
foxboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0
98 explorer XLT 4.0

i was told my sister parked the car and the next morning it would not start.
she brought it to a monroe service center.
they told her she had a bad fuel pump, i work at a junkyard so i replaced her fuel pump and tank for short money.
it still will not start...

the pump has pressure at the schrader valve.(it shot over the fender!)
the pump only turns on for a second, i figure this is because the line is already pressurized.
checked the anerita switch, and for power at the pump connector,(with the key in the on position) seems to be working.
the timing chain is not broken.
after running the battery dead, there is not even a slight oder of fuel in the tailpipe.
i also switched around a few relays, no change.
i replaced the camshaft sensor.
there is a theft light blinking on the instument cluster.. but from what i've seen...the alarm was hacked out long ago.

so, it seems that the fuel is not being released into the motor.
i dont want to spend anymore money on this car, she's trying to sell it!
also i dont have the car or manual handy becayse she lives 150miles away from me!
is it possible that the engine computer died?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pats and alarm are 2 different system.

you have a pats problem which is shutting down the injectors.

you would need to scan it to see the codes.

i think those are the square keys is the chip still in it?

what does pats mean?
she replaced the battery before i got there.. so there were so codes that came up on my OBD2 scanner

pats is ford anti theft, which is build into every vehicle. what codes did you have?

its not an alarm its a passive system that prevents slapping the ignition out and using a screwdriver.

type-o, sorry! i meant there were no codes. she said the check engine light was on previously.. but that dosnt help me now

If the theft light is blinking rapidly the computer is not reading the chip in the key. Try a different key if you hopefully have one. On my '98 I had the same problem that is when I learned about the rapid flash of the theft light. It was the chip in an aftermarket (ebay) key. My Ford keys worked fine.

i think she only has one key.. that came with the vehicle. i'll find out though!

do you know if there is a way to reset anything? or if there is information in the book that came with the vehicle? ... the book did not come with the car when she bought it. but i can prolly get one from my work.

If it is the key to the dealer you will go. Possibly a locksmith. Nothing that you can reset yourself. Also, always a good idea to have three keys. If you have two keys you can self program a third. If you have three and lose one you can still program a replacement. As for the owners manual this should help.

thanks..."a wise guy" the information was very good. when she anwsers the phone i'll get some anwsers and let ya know if it is the problem. it sounds probable.

well... now we know what happens when you dont have the owner's manual,
she said she had another key, and it fired right up! ..i just learned my first ford lesson. thanks for the help guys!!!

Thanks for the follow up. Now it is time for her to get some spare quality keys before she runs into real trouble.

Back