A perplexing order situation... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A perplexing order situation...

Asystole

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
So, here's my story...

I order a 2013 Explorer Limited on 2/20.
I received the following from Ford's customer service during a call on on 3/2:
  • VIN
  • Expected build for second week of March
  • ETA to dealer of 3/26

I followed up with Cory (thank you Cory!) who told me that the car would roll off of the assembly line sometime around the end of next week (around March 23rd) and a window sticker would be available 4-6 days prior.

On 3/13, my dealer told me that the car was already built...on March 2nd!

I called customer service yesterday for an update and was told the car was 'in process' and still had an ETA for 3/26, even though there is still no window sticker. I took the opportunity to verify all of the information I had with the rep, which included the order number, the dealer ID, the body code, and the VIN. Everything is correct.

Today (3/15), my dealer told me that the car has already shipped(!!) and was on a rail car! Still no window sticker, and I check with customer service again who says the car still shows in process, not built.

In the end, all I care about is that the car shows up somewhere between 3/26 and the first week of April, which is pretty speedy in the grand scheme of things; only about six weeks from order to delivery.

On the other hand, someone is wrong here. I just don't know who.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a 2013 limited on 2/2/12 and still don't have a VIN or ETA. Cory sent me a PM yesterday that he doesnt have any information either. At least you got some information. Hopefully you will get it soon!!!

They may have had an order for a similar Ex, that was canceled but already in production and forwarded your order to that vehicle.

Good News!! I just got a PM from Cory with my VIN. He says it should be built about the first week of April. If that happens i will probably get it about 10 weeks after order.

...I followed up with Cory (thank you Cory!) who told me that the car would roll off of the assembly line sometime around the end of next week...
...Cory sent me a PM yesterday that he doesnt have any information either. At least you got some information. Hopefully you will get it soon!!!
Asystole & STORMIN63,

I sent you both a PM with great news! :D

Cory

Asystole & STORMIN63,

I sent you both a PM with great news! :D

Cory

That's great! I do wonder why my dealer says that the car I ordered is currently traveling by rail for delivery.

They may have had an order for a similar Ex, that was canceled but already in production and forwarded your order to that vehicle.
I missed your post, Joe Dirt. Yes; this is a possibility.

Good News!! I just got a PM from Cory with my VIN. He says it should be built about the first week of April. If that happens i will probably get it about 10 weeks after order.
You’re quick, STORMIN63! You beat me out by just a minute. :D

That's great! I do wonder why my dealer says that the car I ordered is currently traveling by rail for delivery.
Asystole,

If the Explorer was in transit, there would be an update for the window sticker URL. I sent you a reply to see if we’re on the same page. :)

Cory

If the Explorer was in transit, there would be an update for the window sticker URL. I sent you a reply to see if we’re on the same page. :)

Cory

What does the updated window sticker say and where is it located on the sticker? I guess I'd like to know is what information can we get from the window sticker in regards to where it is in the order process, build and transit?

I have my sticker!

It didn't show up yesterday, but today, about 20 minutes after midnight...there it was!

My dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. The car has NOT been built yet since the build date shows as 03/22. There is no way the ETA of 3/26 will hold true, let alone his saying that the car is en-route via rail: the sticker shows that the car will be traveling via convoy.

Unless the dealer really is intending to give me somebody else's cancelled order, he is in need of some training.

Thank you, Cory!

Wow! Glad to hear these 2013 models are coming in.......I cancelled my EX Limited order Yesterday!! Ordered on 12/23/11 and as of yesterdayhad no info except to expect a delivery in MID JUNE at best(from Ford CS). How could this be? Frustrated so much I cancelled and am trying to track down a 2012 EX. Unreal...........

What does the updated window sticker say and where is it located on the sticker? I guess I'd like to know is what information can we get from the window sticker in regards to where it is in the order process, build and transit?
jw2013explorer,

The window sticker URL “updates” when the order is about 4-6 days from rolling off the line and can be copied here:

Code:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=<Insert VIN Here>

The details on production and transit aren’t included on there so you’ll have to bug me. ;)

It didn't show up yesterday, but today, about 20 minutes after midnight...there it was!...Thank you, Cory!
You’re very welcome, Asystole; that had to be a pretty pleasant surprise! :D

...I cancelled my EX Limited order Yesterday!! Ordered on 12/23/11 and as of yesterdayhad no info...
That’s a shame you canceled your order, clindley. Drop a line via PM if you’d like me to lend a hand.

Cory

I spoke with the dealer yesterday (3/19) who ran a status report while I was on the phone with him. He now says the car is to be built on 3/22, but that the delivery ETA is unchanged; it remains the week of 3/26. Is this possible? The window sticker says the car will travel by convoy, it is being assembled in Chicago, and my dealer is in NJ.

2013 Explorer

I was able to view my window sticker this morning. At the bottom it says it's coming CONVOY and was/is built in Chicago. It shows a date of 3-19-12. Is that the "build date" that everyone is referring to? I called marketing yesterday and they did not have an ETA for it. We originally ordered a 2012 on December 12, 2011 only to find out Ford stopped production on the 2012 after waiting 5 weeks. We re-ordered the same vehicle in the 2013 model on January 16, 2012. I am really hoping that my car will be delivered soon. I have been driving a rent car for 3 months since I sold my Ford Escape to buy the Explorer.

Any updates from FordCustSrv would be appreciated.

I was able to view my window sticker this morning. At the bottom it says it's coming CONVOY and was/is built in Chicago. It shows a date of 3-19-12. Is that the "build date" that everyone is referring to? I called marketing yesterday and they did not have an ETA for it. We originally ordered a 2012 on December 12, 2011 only to find out Ford stopped production on the 2012 after waiting 5 weeks. We re-ordered the same vehicle in the 2013 model on January 16, 2012. I am really hoping that my car will be delivered soon. I have been driving a rent car for 3 months since I sold my Ford Escape to buy the Explorer.

Any updates from FordCustSrv would be appreciated.

The build date is at the top of the sticker. Look for a number that looks like "120120322" (what mine says) and has the word "Blend" below it. Ignore the leading "1". The rest of the number is the build date year, month, and date. The date at the very bottom of the document is today's date for the generated sticker. This date will update to every day that you regenerate the sticker by viewing it online. If you pull it up again now, it will have changed to today's date.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday (3/19) who ran a status report while I was on the phone with him. He now says the car is to be built on 3/22, but that the delivery ETA is unchanged...
Asystole,

I wasn’t sure how much info you wanted public, so I sent you the details via PM. :D

....Any updates from FordCustSrv would be appreciated.
I shot you a PM with the info I found from my research, mkc2012; please check your inbox for my message.

Cory

The build date is at the top of the sticker. Look for a number that looks like "120120322" (what mine says) and has the word "Blend" below it. Ignore the leading "1". The rest of the number is the build date year, month, and date. The date at the very bottom of the document is today's date for the generated sticker. This date will update to every day that you regenerate the sticker by viewing it online. If you pull it up again now, it will have changed to today's date.

Thank you! I actually thought it was number right above the outline of the window box. But, either way that is very soon.

I can't wait to get my Explorer!

I ordered my 2013 Limited in Feb and it has a VIN # supposed to be ready end of April. How do you all track everything that is going on with the process?

Wow! I found my car's sticker how exciting. When does that mean it should ship?

I ordered my 2013 Limited in Feb and it has a VIN # supposed to be ready end of April. How do you all track everything that is going on with the process?

Ask Cory on this forum from Ford Customer Service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called Ford's marketing number (800-334-4375) today and asked for an ETA to my dealer being that the car was built on 3/22 and was set to a status of 'awaiting shipment' on 3/23, with an ETA of today, 3/26. This ETA has been unchanged since I received the VIN back on 3/2.
When last I troubled Cory, he told me that the ETA hadn't been updated in a long time.

So, back to today: The phone rep informed me that the ETA was updated this morning, and it remains today, 3/26! She insisted that it was updated and that it shows a status of 'in-transit' and that the ETA is today 3/26.

I called the dealer who looked it up in their system and found an ETA of 4/4, +/- 7 days.

Why the discrepancy between Ford and the dealer? In any case, all that matters is that it is on its way and I should see some time between today and the next couple of weeks.

An interesting aside is that I ordered the rear seat DVD players and the roof rack cross bars. For whatever reason, these are dealer-installed accessories that the dealer tells me will arrive at the dealer's parts department, "...99% of the time, well after the car arrives" and that I can take delivery of the car after the parts arrive and are installed, or take it immediately and return for an appointment when the parts arrive.

Why not install while on the assembly line?

Back