A-Pillar Handles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A-Pillar Handles

96limitedX said:
any sport trac would work(2001-2005)..but im not sure if they have them?
Some tracs have them, problem will be mounting them

Attachments

• Mvc-007s.jpg
    Mvc-007s.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 337

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How exactly do those mount? Most of the ones I've seen have a plastic gap/cover over the screws. Any help would be nice Spindle! Or you can let me have yours haha!

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
How exactly do those mount? Most of the ones I've seen have a plastic gap/cover over the screws. Any help would be nice Spindle! Or you can let me have yours haha!

-Drew
are mounted with two 10-24 bolts,into a plate welded into the piller, caps were removed for the pic.
I hate mine, screws with your side to to vision

spindlecone said:
I hate mine, screws with your side to to vision

Well I will defilently take them off your hands!

Yours look a little different though. I think I'll need to get the ones that have the little caps that cover the screws. I was looking at my girlfriends mothers 04 Expedition and I liked hers and they might be easier to work with, but I don't think they come in tan (more of like a cream color) and the a-pillar plastic is kind of made for the assist strap (handle). Has a square look to it.

usa_2004_FORD_EXPEDITION_spe_4_x_indrvrseat_x.jpg

It's kind of small, but you can see how the a-pillar plastic isn't exactly seperate from the handle.

Here is a older Expedition that I might be able to work with

8b_4.JPG

You can see the little covers that cover up the screws right on the handles. I plan on going to my friends place to see what they have and put them up to my truck and see which one fits better. I will look at pictures of the escape as well tonight, to see if those will possibly fit. Thanks everyone.

-Drew

I took a closer look at an 04 Expedition and they will actually work well. They are flat and my a-piller molding is flat as well. I also looked at the rear ones and noticed that they will not work without a lot of modification. So I may just do the driver or maybe just the passenger side. I will most likely purchase these assist straps this week sometime.

-Drew

I am on the search for 03-05 Expedition Tan handles. If they do not match up well, I will possibly paint them or vinyl dye them (if I can find some dye for cheap - saw it for $118 a can). I believe it's going to be either Expedition handles or no handles at all. I will keep everyone update when something goes on. Any advice on painting vinyl/plastic would be great!

-Drew

Painting vinyl is not difficult. You can purchase vinyl paint in many colors. the key is to use the vinyl prep before paint, it makes it sticky.
However paint on these handles will not hold up very long at all, the handles flex and peoples hands will rub the paint right off, you can jusst paint them every year, go with black, or try to find handles from a donor the same year as yours, you see Ford changed the interior colors slightly from year to year, the jerks! Makes for an interesting interior, like my 88 has a 89 headliner, door panels, and trim with 97 seats, 99 sun visors, custom painted dash, etc, its a collage of tan's :)

I will have to look into it. Today, I was in a parking lot and saw a 99 or 00 F-150 with the exact same handles as the Expedition, but they were a darker tan (like mine). I may try and look into those now. It was off a Lariat F-150. Thanks for the input 410Fortune!

-Drew

Just kinda of wierd but i have a 2000 XLT live in va and my name is drew. I know off jubject.

-The other Drew

Is yours lift as well? ha - or do the similarities end there?

-Drew

Update : Found out that 2003 F-150 series trucks have the same handles as the 03-05 Expeditions --- so, I want to go up to a local parts place tomorrow and see what they can do for me (color wise), but I will have to see. Hopefully I can find a tan F-150 handle (s) and be set...but we'll see huh?

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
Is yours lift as well? ha - or do the similarities end there?

-Drew

Tortion twist and blocks. I want to put the solid axel in the front this summer. Do you know any good wheeling spots around here?

I don't know who has subscribed to this thread - if anyone, but I should be able to take a look at the a-pillar this weekend and see what I can do. The guy I know got me some new Handles from a 2003 F-150 with Tan...so hopefully it'll match well. I will see when they arrive on Friday. I will probably look at what I have to work with on the a-pillar and then try to figure out a good way of doing it. I will keep everyone posted (for those who care -- but I will do a seperate post/write up if I do eventually do it)

-Drew

A-Pillar handles came in today. They are made for a 2003 Ford F-150 (F-150 is even stamped on a part of it - but it's hidden after its installed). It looks like I'll be able to work with them, hopefully. Tonight I plan on taking a closer look at my a-pillar and figure out if theres going to need to be any type of modification to the pillar or the handles. The handles are, believe it or not, THE EXACTLY SAME COLOR! I was amazed. Ford must of used the same Tan color from 2000 into their '03 models. Good news for me. Here are some part numbers:

2L3Z 1531406-AAA (handles)
2L3Z 1531458-AAA (handle caps)

They are from Ford of coarse. I won't be able to actually install them until next week/weekend, but I will mostly have the design down for them so I will know what I'll have to do.

-Drew

EDIT: Well, I got to looking at the a-pillars design on my 2000 and it's going to be one heck of a design feat. I will make them work! ha - I'm not too worried about it. It looks like I will have to make a spacer for it (about 10/16th of an inch) and then grind the corners down so it'll be flush up against the different angels on the actual pillar (not the trim). I will hopefully have the plan together tomorrow! I won't be able to cut the spacers out until this week sometime. If anyone has any ideas - please let me hear them.

Up? :D What's the deal?

I'm in the process of adding some grab bars for my truck. My plan is to get some mild steel and make a bracket and weld it to the A pillar. Drill and tap the A pillar bracket and then drill the holes in the A pillar trim so that you can attach the grab bar thru the trim to the welded bracket. Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have everything ready for it.

Well I don't. But annabanana is only 5'8" and I caught her using the center console arm rest to get herself in. And now that I have one of those crappy short consoles, I can see that being a problem after awhile. :D I don't want her tearing my leapord print!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blee1099 said:
Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have everything ready for it.

I'm going to hit the JY tomorrow. We'll race.

Back