A Practical Application for Dual In, Dual Out Muffler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Practical Application for Dual In, Dual Out Muffler

GuardianSport

Reaction score
City, State
Lindsay, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 ST Adrenalin
The Ford Explorer Sport in the second generation (like mine) was significant, as it did not have a Y pipe, but rather a dual in, single out muffler. Would it be possible to install a dual in - dual out muffler, and what would the practical benefits of this be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could. you'll need to drop your spare tire to accommodate the second pipe though.

as far as practicality, I'm not sure, especially since you'd lose your spare tire.

But really, who cares about practical use. If you want it, go for it.

I was thinking more along the lines of running the 2 outlet pipes right to the stock location of the single pipe, side by side, instead of trying to mimic a true dual setup.

Would tire removal still be necessary? This would be one of the main reasons for my desire to due such a setup.

I was thinking more along the lines of running the 2 outlet pipes right to the stock location of the single pipe, side by side, instead of trying to mimic a true dual setup.

Would tire removal still be necessary? This would be one of the main reasons for my desire to due such a setup.

iirc you wont be able to fit both pipes through the stocker location, hence the need to dump the spare tire and run it to the other side. At least that's how it is with the 4dr. I can't imagine the 2dr would give you any more room.

The Ford Explorer Sport in the second generation (like mine) was significant, as it did not have a Y pipe, but rather a dual in, single out muffler. Would it be possible to install a dual in - dual out muffler, and what would the practical benefits of this be?

Is this a V8? My 2000 Sport is a V6 and think it would sound like a fart can with a DI/DO two tail pipe setup.

Is this a V8? My 2000 Sport is a V6 and think it would sound like a fart can with a DI/DO two tail pipe setup.

all sports are v6.

all sports are v6.

I thought so. Just got our explorer a few weeks ago, so Im not familiar with what is what with them yet. Hopefully if the OP goes ahead with this setup, he puts up a video so we can hear how it turns out.

larger single pipe

I suspect there may be enough room for at least a 3 inch diameter single pipe to replace the existing pipe without eliminating the heat shield. That's what I hope to try when I eventually swap my SOHC V6 with a 5.0 V8.

The heat shield is fibreglass, is it not? It should be possible to change it to allow for 2 pipes to run side by side to the rear. I'll have to check out under the truck when the weather warms up again.

I suspect there may be enough room for at least a 3 inch diameter single pipe to replace the existing pipe without eliminating the heat shield. That's what I hope to try when I eventually swap my SOHC V6 with a 5.0 V8.

3" is not suggested for the 5.0L.

Didn't you want to go with a 347 monster?

Well this is my take on this...

The dual in/dual out configuration is pretty decent for exhaust flow and the ability to reduce flow restrictions in the exhaust system. My 99 Sport will be getting four new hiflow convertors, an x-pipe at the bolt on flange, a Magnaflow dual in/dual out stainless steel muffler, and 2 tailpipes running out the passenger side rear of the truck. My purpose for doing this would be to maintain the exhaust velocity and using reversion to remove more spent gases from the engine than the stock exhaust system...

I am keeping the exhaust pipe diameter throughout at 2.25" to maintain the flow velocity through the manifolds or headers [if I choose to use headers], using the x-pipe to assist in the scavenging effect, and the muffler to further reduce flow restriction and just because I want dual exhaust on my sport...

I do not concern myself with the sound as I concern myself with the effect of the lower restriction exhaust on my vehicle. I currently run the same muffler with larger diameter inlets/outlets on my charger and the sound is far from a fart can...Yes the Charger is a V8 but I have run this configuration on other vehicles in the past [v6 and v8's] and they were all deeper in tone and all benefitted with better fuel mileage and performance.

5.0L first

Didn't you want to go with a 347 monster?

My initial swap will be to the 5.0 liter V8. Later I may uprade to a larger displacement. I'd prefer the 5.8L but that would be a lot of work.

3 inch tailpipe

3" is not suggested for the 5.0L.

The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch diameter tailpipe is 7.07 sq in. The cross sectional area of two 2.25 inch diameter downpipes is 7.95 sq in. I doubt that a single 3 inch tailpipe is excessive.

why 4 cats?

The dual in/dual out configuration is pretty decent for exhaust flow and the ability to reduce flow restrictions in the exhaust system. My 99 Sport will be getting four new hiflow convertors, an x-pipe at the bolt on flange, a Magnaflow dual in/dual out stainless steel muffler, and 2 tailpipes running out the passenger side rear of the truck. . .

Why do you need four high flow cats? Do they fit better than two high flow cats of similar 3 way converter capacity? My Sport stock configuration has two cats.

The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch diameter tailpipe is 7.07 sq in. The cross sectional area of two 2.25 inch diameter downpipes is 7.95 sq in. I doubt that a single 3 inch tailpipe is excessive.

I didn't say excessive, I said not recommended.

Let's move away from 5.0l and get back to my 4.0.

ranger7ltr: is there a problem with back pressure for your 4.0 with the da/do muffler applied? What muffler did you use?

I heard this was one of the problems with true duals, lack of back pressure and a drop in low end HP.

Why do you need four high flow cats? Do they fit better than two high flow cats of similar 3 way converter capacity? My Sport stock configuration has two cats.

My sport has 4 cats, it is the stock setup...

That being said, if I were to put new exhaust on it I would probably go down to 2 cats.

Is there a problem with back pressure?

Let's move away from 5.0l and get back to my 4.0.

ranger7ltr: is there a problem with back pressure for your 4.0 with the da/do muffler applied? What muffler did you use?

I heard this was one of the problems with true duals, lack of back pressure and a drop in low end HP.

Absolutely...There is too damn much back pressure....For those who may not have the California specification or an older than 99 Explorer my truck has 2 convertors in the head pipe down from the exhaust manifolds and then 2 convertors in series after the exhaust pipe flange and before the muffler...

By keeping the exhaust velocity higher and opening up the old 177k mile convertors to high flow units, I expect to use exhaust flow to assist removing the spent gases from the cylinders and enhance the fresh fuel/air mixture...

What I purpose to do is keep the front convertor configuration and split the rear convertor unit into a seperate unit per exhaust pipe and use the rear o2 sensor in one of the output sides of the rear convertors...By using an x-pipe and opening up the exhaust system to maximum flow and maintaining velocity I suspect that the low end torque levels with stay consistent or improve... I also plan to lengthen the intake runners with an aluminum spacer to increase lowend torque as well.

I have a Magnaflow dual-in/dual-out muffler for this experiment...I used these on my Charger and my Ranger with positive results and I have no doubt this will work out on the Explorer as well...In the pictures you see the x-pipe as well as the muffler I have selected for this ...

I have to pass a visual inspection as well as an electronics test here in Texas and I can't remove the rear convertors...

Attachments

• P3040339.jpg
    P3040339.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 361
  • P3040342.jpg
    P3040342.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 327

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to thread jack...

My initial swap will be to the 5.0 liter V8. Later I may uprade to a larger displacement. I'd prefer the 5.8L but that would be a lot of work.

But I still have the 427 in my Ranger which originally was slated to go into the Explorer Sport when I bought it...But I am having way too much fun making better fuel mileage with the new engine I installed this past spring...

I have a new target for the v8 in the Ranger though; I need to find a Merkur Scorpio with a dead drivetrain...I already have a 5 speed from a T-Bird SC to go behind the V8...OR a 5.0 Coyote drivetrain...

But I am starting a quest for 30 mpg with my OHV!!!

Back