A pretty wild endeavor between a 1997 explorer and a 2000 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A pretty wild endeavor between a 1997 explorer and a 2000 limited

Reaction score
City, State
menifee, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer 4x4
So here is what I have. I have a 1997 ford explorer for that's in perfect condition just high miles about 210000 give or take and it cats just went out. So I bought a 2000 ford explorer limited that has 130000 on it and it runs and drives perfectly but was side swiped fairly hard. I bought the limited for 300 dollars while new cats were going to cost me lose to 1000 for all new ones. Oh and both of the explorers are 5.0 v8's and awd. So what I want to do is completely strip the crashed limited and turn my xlt into the limited I know it's going to be extensive and a lot of work and I have a pretty solid automotive back ground. I'm really wondering if its do able has anybody done this before is there a thread for anybody doing this type of project. Sorry it took so long to get to my point but I am just realm looking for any and all information on this type of swap and being that I have two complete vehicles I recon I'm kinda in the right track. And thank you all again any and all info will be greatly appreciated and studied in great depth

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck with the project!
Likely will have to do a lot of rewiring to get the limited options going.

you will need to pretty much do just as you said. strip the entire truck. there was a lot of electrical changes made in around 97 and 98 if you want to keep all the limited gadgets. there is one member here (bluka) that took a 99 (i think that was the year) sport, and put all the limited electronics into it, and also did a v8 swap on it (search "pickle") he took 3 trucks and made one out of it.

Oh wow thank you guys I'm pretty excited about it and I'll defiantly keep everyone posted and again any and all information will be greatly appreciated

So here is what I have. I have a 1997 ford explorer for that's in perfect condition just high miles about 210000 give or take and it cats just went out. So I bought a 2000 ford explorer limited that has 130000 on it and it runs and drives perfectly but was side swiped fairly hard. I bought the limited for 300 dollars while new cats were going to cost me lose to 1000 for all new ones. Oh and both of the explorers are 5.0 v8's and awd. So what I want to do is completely strip the crashed limited and turn my xlt into the limited I know it's going to be extensive and a lot of work and I have a pretty solid automotive back ground. I'm really wondering if its do able has anybody done this before is there a thread for anybody doing this type of project. Sorry it took so long to get to my point but I am just realm looking for any and all information on this type of swap and being that I have two complete vehicles I recon I'm kinda in the right track. And thank you all again any and all info will be greatly appreciated and studied in great depth

I will have to tell you that the wiring harnesses are differant between both vehicles. I am trying to do the same thing between a 97 and a 99.
97 never had steering wheel controls expect for cruise. For me to be able to use the temp and fan buttons on my wheel I would have to repin the connectors for the climate control and use the EATC from the 99.

The other problem is that the Gauge clusters the Fuel Reset and Door Ajar lights are in different places. When I plug in the 99 cluster into my 97 the fuel reset light comes on when the doors are opened. I am thinking if I can find the two wires that control the fuel reset and door ajar and flip them around that the lights would work normally.

Back