a question about the factory towing package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a question about the factory towing package

gjblanchard

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT, 06 EB, 08 EB
Hi Folks,

I'm the guy who had his Explorer dropped from the lift at my local (idiot) dealer. The long and short of this story was that I have a very nice replacement Explorer, but now I have a question about it.

The first question: Is there any way I can get the original equipment list (options) on my Explorer?

The second question: I've got the Class III/IV towing package on this Explorer, with a 7 pin RV plug. On the old (dropped) Explorer, I had a class II hitch receptacle. So, my question is, what other equipment comes with the Class III/IV towing package? I think I've got a 3.73 LS differential, and am wondering if it's got a heavy duty radiator and/or transmission cooler too? Is the transfer case any different than that for the Class II hitch?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Cheers, Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got an '05 XLT with the same package, and when i bought the car used a few months ago, the salesman said that the towing package is just the Class III/IV hitch and the connector. So I'd assume that there isn't anything different, assuming that the salesman at the dealership was right.

EDIT: as for the OEM equipment list, harass the dealer. When I got mine, I got the original window sticker from when the X was new. The dealer that you got the new X from might be able to find something somewhere with that information.

If you look under the truck at the front, you will see a tranny cooler strapted to the bottom of the original radiator. I have a 02 4x4 XLT with LS rear, the tow bar receiver is the 2" and the 7 pin. Hope this helps.

There are other differences between the tow package besides the class 3/4 hitch and the 7 pin receptacle. The tow package includes a large oil cooler and a different (3.73 compared to 3.55) rear end. The rated tow limit is NOT only based on the hitch. The published rating for the non tow package Explorer is 3500 lbs vs 5300 for a 4 WD with the tow package.

Bringing up an old thread here but I have not found a thread any closer to my question than this one.
I am looking for a way to lookup all the original equipment list on my 02 Explorer. I bought it used just a month ago and would like to get that info if possible.

Thanks!

-bob

One of the moderators on here said that all 3rd Gens come with tranny coolers, regardless of engine or tow packages.

I've looked under my 04 Mounty v8, and I definately got a tranny cooler......

Back