A successful transplant? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A successful transplant?

renewsport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
I'm thinking of putting a 5.0/302 (either carburated or EFI) with an AOD into my '92 Sport. I'd like it to look and function as close to stock as possible, that is, to continue use of the column shifter. Has anyone done this particular type of swap? I've done a fair bit of research into the components needed, but haven't run across a completed example of this type yet. Any feedback or experience on this swap combo would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SEARCH....
SEARCH....
SEARCH....

Even if you don't use the ever handy, and powerful 'SEARCH' function, you can go back up to 5 pages in THIS forum, and see that same question has been asked, AND ANSWERED a couple times.

Ryan

A 'simple' answer to your question is - yes - you can make it look totally stock. How? Put a complete drivetrain out of a '96 & up 5.0 Ex in your rig. Will the column shifter work? YES. I currently have the 4R70W out of a '97 Ex in my rig using the stock '91 column shifter and cable. The cable is a little too long but I just looped it once by the belhousing and it works perfect.
Beyond this, if you don't want to use this setup, YOU WILL BE MAKING MODS!

To WickedWindsor: Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I wanted to know about the column shifter.

To Spdrcer34: I DID do a search and wasn't able to find the specific info I needed. That's why I asked the question here. Take a cue from WickedWindsor. He actually read my post, understood what I was after and gave a HELPFUL response.

Back